Wire ratings?

EarDrummin.
10+ year member

Is this my Brahma?
Wanaque, NJ
I noticed some companies will advertise a 4 guage wire for 1000 watts, yet other will advertise for 1400, give or take. This is just one example, obviously. I would think the same size wire would more or less handle the same amount of power. Anyone know if this is just an example of advertising, or if they really can handle different amounts of power?

Give or take, the same ga. of wire will handle the same amount of power. Though I always say, you can never go wrong going bigger. You never want to be choked off!

Strands.. sounds like you might be onto something there, but again, I don't know.

As far as going bigger, 0/1 guage wire isn't exactly the most popular, and is a little harder to come by. It's rather hefty on the wallet.

strands = flexibility, not power/current capacity.

Power ratings can never really be accurate on amp kits because the most important factor is length. 5' of 4 ga might be fine for 200A, but for 15' it wouldn't cut it. They just put a # on it to give people an idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.