Worth a Recone?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
So today was the first time I've ever destroyed any equipment in my 3 years of installing car audio. Got into my truck and noticed that my SFB600 was in protection mode or at least I thought. The blue power and orange clip light were steady on. My phone connected to my headunit and started playing music and I hear a popping noise like how with some amps will do when you turn em on, which in the moment was weird for me cause this amp never does that but i didnt think anything of it. After a few seconds the popping happened a few more times so I looked at the subwoofer (IDQ 10) and the surround was completely inverted and the cone was pushed in to the very end of the of its back stroke not moving at all and started smoking (first time I've ever smelt voice coil, that **** is gross) so I hurried up and pulled the power wire on the box, but the damage is done. Coil rub like a *****. Didn't have time to pull the sub to check how bad I roasted it cause I had to leave.

Thinking back on it I'm pretty sure this amp has a dead short allowing the power to flow thru it to the subwoofer uninhibited seeing as the subwoofer was not moving and just getting a straight sine wave at max power. Not sure why the amp is shorted, I know these amps are notorious for ******* up but could also be from me adjusting the seat that it's under (single cab truck) and maybe shorting it out, idk.

My question is is it worth reconning? MSRP IS $270 and a Recone it's $179. I bought it for $150 with the box. I love this subwoofer cause it blends so nicely with my speakers with little EQ and I'm really upset that I did this. I figured when I finally blew a sub it'd be from intentionally giving it the beans to blow it up

My question is is it worth reconning? MSRP IS $270 and a Recone it's $179. I bought it for $150 with the box. I love this subwoofer
Screenshot_20240704-143801.png

Is that b stock or new? I was also able to find a Recone for $109. Would either of these be worth it or is there a subwoofer that is better for the price that's of similar quality?
For the price as opposed to others, I assume B stock. Thing is you can get it warrantied through eBay/Allstate. I have never used or heard those subs, so I have no basis for comparison. If you go with a different sub, you will need to modify or purchase the sub box, and reset your amp settings. So quickest option is get the same.

Is that b stock or new? I was also able to find a Recone for $109. Would either of these be worth it or is there a subwoofer that is better for the price that's of similar quality?
I though you stated the recone was $179?? Id grab a different sub that will handle a bit more power and built a little better myself. if the amp has an issue also. be best to find another amp that both can be found on sale today and this weekend. Id pull that amp and bench test it to see if its working properly or not. What type of enclosure do you have and dimensions?

Pretty nice sounding subs

Don’t connect anymore subs / speakers to that amp until you confirm its functionality. Sounds like it has shorted output transistors or bad driver section, this can cause high DC voltage at the speaker terminal and will destroy subs / speakers.

Can measure for DC voltage, sub unhooked, amp powered on, measured at speaker output terminals (no music playing). Amps are supposed to have protection to shut itself off when this happens but it doesn’t always help.

Pretty nice sounding subs
Sorry, should've mentioned the sub is going to be going in a small sealed box. Those subs are more for SPL and protest boxes if I'm not mistaken, right?

Don’t connect anymore subs / speakers to that amp until you confirm its functionality. Sounds like it has shorted output transistors or bad driver section, this can cause high DC voltage at the speaker terminal and will destroy subs / speakers.

Can measure for DC voltage, sub unhooked, amp powered on, measured at speaker output terminals (no music playing). Amps are supposed to have protection to shut itself off when this happens but it doesn’t always help.
That's what I was thinking although you explained it better than I could have as I'm not to familiar with amp internals. It was a cheap amp I got on sale and they don't make them anymore because they are apparently unreliable, although I had the 2k version that I abused and it worked fine and this 600 watt one has lasted us 2 years so

Sorry, should've mentioned the sub is going to be going in a small sealed box. Those subs are more for SPL and protest boxes if I'm not mistaken, right?
By specs.. Both subs mentioned can be placed in a Sealed or Ported application. depth will be the concern for whatever woofer you choose for the replacement and over all cu.Ft from your existing enclosure

There is nothing SPL oriented from many if any at all Sealed sub applications. Tuning is where you will determine the frequency, and settings incorporated to your listening habits. Your EQ should allow that to take place

I though you stated the recone was $179?? Id grab a different sub that will handle a bit more power and built a little better myself. if the amp has an issue also. be best to find another amp that both can be found on sale today and this weekend. Id pull that amp and bench test it to see if its working properly or not. What type of enclosure do you have and dimensions?
Yea I didn't a little more deep of a dive and found one but I'm not so sure that that I want to use this sub anymore. I found a Recone video on the companies YouTube channel and although it only takes about 15 minutes to do without even using glue, I don't want to use it because apparently the recones are of low quality and often come with details and the company is liable to block you if you complain. I have not dealt with ID at all so I cannot attest to this, but there have been many people on different sites saying the same thing so I'd rather not take the chance.

There is nothing SPL oriented from many if any at all Sealed sub applications. Tuning is where you will determine the frequency, and settings incorporated to your listening habits. Your EQ should allow that to take place
I understand that I'm not really going for SPL necessary but I want it to be loud.

As far as the specs for the CT sounds go, honestly I do not trust them for the same reason I do not trust Skar audio TS Specs. I understand that even the most venerable audio companies might have differing specs on the same exact woofer cause they use different methods to test the woofer

I understand that I'm not really going for SPL necessary but I want it to be loud.

As far as the specs for the CT sounds go, honestly I do not trust them for the same reason I do not trust Skar audio TS Specs. I understand that even the most venerable audio companies might have differing specs on the same exact woofer cause they use different methods to test the woofer
Everything ive gotten and use myself over 2 years now and have recommended to friends and family has been dammned good from CT Sounds thus far. i still have an older sub from the Co. they used to be, and it still work very nicely. Sold the amps and other subs since, but still have one older 12 left. My amps and mids from CT have worked flawlessly. I can be rough on my gear majority of the time

Attachments

• 20211007_155510 (7).jpg
    20211007_155510 (7).jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211007_155544 (3).jpg
    20211007_155544 (3).jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220210_004516.jpg
    20220210_004516.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211012_145237 (4).jpg
    20211012_145237 (4).jpg