821.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220709_163739 (3).jpg
    20220709_163739 (3).jpg
    839.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220709_163538 (4).jpg
    20220709_163538 (4).jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 2
I like my SQ/SQL stuff at times too rather than SPL
I'm not knocking the product itself, I just find some of their recommended box specs and TS Specs for the subs are not accurate. I've had CT products before and of the ones I've had they have been of decent quality for sure. I actually plan of getting a set of their speakers cause they have the push terminals instead of the stupid spade terminals attached to that flimsy cardboard type material

Last edited:
Here's pics of the coil btw. Took me like 5 minutes with I think 16 total. 8 for the surround trim piece/gasket and 8 for the spider. Looks like it was starting to slide off the former. Still smells awful too

Attachments

• Snapchat-676314945.jpg
    Snapchat-676314945.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Snapchat-580814988.jpg
    Snapchat-580814988.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Snapchat-858436390.jpg
    Snapchat-858436390.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 2
What was that old saying, even Phoenix Gold had it printed inside of some of their amps, something like "I love the smell of burnt voice coils in the morning"

But yeah I've burnt many coils, very distinctive smell. You get use to smelling for this when bass testing and overpowering stuff, and know to turn it down if you catch a slight whiff while playing. :LOL:

What was that old saying, even Phoenix Gold had it printed inside of some of their amps, something like "I love the smell of burnt voice coils in the morning"

But yeah I've burnt many coils, very distinctive smell. You get use to smelling for this when bass testing and overpowering stuff, and know to turn it down if you catch a slight whiff while playing. :LOL:
I think I did a little more than just burn it. I had a Deaf Bonce Machete in a box way too big and with twice the rated power and it would get stinky over extended play time but never smoke or got crunchy.

This IDQ went up in smoke before I could unplug it and the coil was rubbing bad. But yea definitely one of the WORST smells ives ever smelled

Last edited:
Here's pics of the coil btw. Took me like 5 minutes with I think 16 total. 8 for the surround trim piece/gasket and 8 for the spider. Looks like it was starting to slide off the former. Still smells awful too
Joker got hott!! Playing a little too long with too much power. You need a better RMS sub and better built quality sub. Id be looking for a 600 rms -1200 rms sub on 1k-1500 myself and dedicate some room for an enclosure. Better would be a pair of 10s

I caught a pair of Kicker CRV 12s DVC2 @2ohms on fire in downtown traffic in my old crv. I was trying to cook them ,but never expected them to actually create a fire. LOL... Hmm.. That Smell.. That smoke.. that Flame?? :ROFLMAO: used a Mmats D300HC

I'm not knocking the product itself, I just find some of their recommended box specs and TS Specs for the subs are not accurate. I've had CT products before and of the ones I've had they have been of decent quality for sure. I actually plan of getting a set of their speakers cause they have the push terminals instead of the stupid spade terminals attached to that flimsy cardboard type material
Id be looking at some CDT Audio HD Series on an amplifier for mids and highs, and the like

I caught a pair of Kicker CRV 12s DVC2 @2ohms on fire in downtown traffic in my old crv. I was trying to cook them ,but never expected them to actually create a fire. LOL... Hmm.. That Smell.. That smoke.. that Flame?? :ROFLMAO: used a Mmats D300HC
That’s pretty funny, though a fire in a car of any kind is never good. I smoked some MA Audio 12’s many years ago, I got them cheap, they poured smoke out of the ports on a Memphis 16-st1000d or whatever it was, the rectangle silver color amps, I knew I cooked the subs and opened the trunk to a smoke cloud.

I had a pair of the older CVR 12’s, first version of the silver cone red logo, and those performed fairly well for a 2” coil sub considering what it is. I ran them on an old 2001 MTX 1501D amp at 2-ohm and they put out some bass for sure. Mine died from being in a box a little too big and bottoming out / smacking the voice coil on the back plate too many times, coil rub eventually got worse. If those CVR’s were like $75 new, I would be recommending them more for a solid budget sub that takes a bit of power, but at $150 each you might as well put that towards a better sub / bigger coil. That said, for a budget minded sub with a 2” coil, I actually liked those. 😅

Joker got hott!! Playing a little too long with too much power. You need a better RMS sub and better built quality sub. Id be looking for a 600 rms -1200 rms sub on 1k-1500 myself and dedicate some room for an enclosure. Better would be a pair of 10s
I wasn't even playing. Like I said I think the amp shorted out internal probably form my girlfriend and me hitting hit accidentally with the seat (single cab truck and I didn't feel like drilling into the back wall). I'm more of a function over form guy. I'll try to make it look neat but as long as it's hidden I don't care but I think I'm gonna have to find somewhere else for the next one. It was a good little amp while it served me and my girlfriend 2 years

Last edited:
I wasn't even playing. Like I said I think the amp shorted out internal probably form my girlfriend and me hitting hit accidentally with the seat (single cab truck and I didn't feel like drilling into the back wall). I'm more of a function over form guy. I'll try to make it look neat but as long as it's hidden I don't care but I think I'm gonna have to find somewhere else for the next one. It was a good little amp while it served me and my girlfriend 2 years
Mono amps and amps in general are cheaper to buy these days and so many are clones of different brands and labeled . Cant really go too much wrong. But a decent amp(1k or better), and at a min of a 5-600 rms sub should serve for quite a while tuned properly 2.5-3" coil

And not sure what your plan is with your old SFB600, but don't forget you can list it for sale (here, marketplace / locally, and or ebay probably the best bet) to recoup some money, probably get $50 for it at least (perhaps more) for "parts or repair", if you don't plan on fixing it. I use to buy a ton of blown amps to fix and resell, and I know people will buy it for sure because it was hard to get any dirt cheap so I stopped doing it. I'm sure you are well aware of this, but I've also known people that would toss stuff like that right in the trash.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...