2002 Lincoln LS Rebuild log

are those different subs? or same subs diff recone or what?
They are the same subs, both RE SE's but one has the newer cone on it.

That is awesome!
Another former NY'er here. Ever been down to Colonie?
Nope, but I haven't lived in NY for very long.

Ummm... it looks nice but the port is firing into a pretty much sealed trunk, correct? And if it's not sealed up (meaning the rear shelf), then you're losing the benefits from firing into the cabin.

That doesn't look very well thought out to me and it almost looks like more was done for the looks and not the performance. I'm not a fan.

Ummm... it looks nice but the port is firing into a pretty much sealed trunk, correct? And if it's not sealed up (meaning the rear shelf), then you're losing the benefits from firing into the cabin.
That doesn't look very well thought out to me and it almost looks like more was done for the looks and not the performance. I'm not a fan.
agreed....for the time put into the design and equipment, the overall concept doesnt seem like it would be the best for performance

and if you were going for looks, once again why not go ahead and get the other recone?

and if you were going for looks, once again why not go ahead and get the other recone?

He could always use some nail polish remover and remove the logos on both of the cones, would look better than the way it sits now.

I'm confused, are you saying the trunk should or should not be sealed off from the cabin of the car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

As it sits right now there are two 6x9 openings on the rear shelf, I was planning on sealing them up when I put sound deadner on the inside of the rear shelf.

The main reason for firing the subs forward is that I use my trunk and I didn't want to damage another pair of subs. If I decide I do not like this setup I will keep the rest of the install and build a new box. I've had the car for less than a year and this is the fourth set of subs I've put in it.

hmmm I just dont see putting all this money,time, and effort in the install and then not just go ahead and get another recone....
The subs have not been reconed. One I picked up in trade from another CA.com member and the other I purchased so I would have a pair. I didn't realize they had switched cones when I did this.

If I decide to stay with this setup for a while I will find a match to one of the subs I have now so they are the same.

I like the way the setup looks, the trim panels fit nicely. The bass port should be ported up through the rear deck or removed completely and hole sealed. Ideally, the bass from the port and woofers should be able to reach you at the same time IMO.

I would seal the edges of the front baffle behind the rear seats so that the bass from the woofers woulden't leak around the sides and back into the trunk. Try great-stuff expanding foam, sylicon caulk, or sound deadening material. Cut some strips of carpeting that match the box, and staple/tape them to the box and the sheet metal of the car from inside the trunk, then cover all that with deadening to make it airtight, and all you will see from inside the car when you look at the gaps is the carpet.

I think its a very nice instal and just needs some tweaks so that none of the bass is being wasted. As for the woofers being the same make and model except with different design logos, just say you did it intentionaly for "Visual Interest". I think it looks kind of cool.

I like the way the setup looks, the trim panels fit nicely. The bass port should be ported up through the rear deck or removed completely and hole sealed. Ideally, the bass from the port and woofers should be able to reach you at the same time IMO.
Would the port on the same side as the subs be best? If so do you think I could get away with a 3" Aero, I'm not sure I'd have enough room on the front of the box for a 4"

I would seal the edges of the front baffle behind the rear seats so that the bass from the woofers woulden't leak around the sides and back into the trunk. Try great-stuff expanding foam, sylicon caulk, or sound deadening material. Cut some strips of carpeting that match the box, and staple/tape them to the box and the sheet metal of the car from inside the trunk, then cover all that with deadening to make it airtight, and all you will see from inside the car when you look at the gaps is the carpet.
I will do this if I decide to stick with this setup for a while.

I think its a very nice instal and just needs some tweaks so that none of the bass is being wasted. As for the woofers being the same make and model except with different design logos, just say you did it intentionaly for "Visual Interest". I think it looks kind of cool.
Thanks. This is just a daily design, no comps or shows so the non matching subs will work for now, but like I stated earlier if I decide to keep this setup for a while I will get two matching subs.

OK, the trunk is done.....for now anyway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I fired it all up and played with the settings one the H701 and it sounds great.

I know some of you think the sub/port placement isn't optimal but for me it sounds fine and I'm going to keep it this way for now.

Trim pannel around the amps

2928947_55_full.jpg

Cover pannel installed to protect the plexi from damage.

2928947_56_full.jpg

That's it for now, next week I will be reinstalling my front and rear comps with better spacer/adaptors and possibly moving my tweeters up higher as well as adding some sound deadner to door pannels, trunk lid, etc...

Hey, that amp rack and stealth cover look great. I hope my next instal looks as good as yours does. I would like to try something similar to your setup with a small sealed box with two 12's, while saving my spare tire and mounting the amps to the back of the box. I like the way your box was shaped like a wedge to use all the airspace up under the rear deck. Good thread, gave me some practical ideas. Keep it up!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.