2008 Silverado X-Cab Build

Participant count
  • Participant list
Nice work looks real clean Kudos on the amp set up never seen that before but came out good!
Thanks. I really do wish I could have stuck with the JL Audio Slash series of amps, but like I said, unless I wanted to make some radical changes inside the cab, which would have meant my kids would have to ride in the truck bed (LOL), this was the best solution I came up with. The Alpine PDX series of amps are OK but maybe when I have some time and money I will look into JL Audio HD series.

Nice, I like it. You're right, there is no room in there. When I get out of college I want to get an 08-10 silverado, but a 4 door. So I would be doing another build like you did, but by the time I have the money for a new truck like that I think I'll be taking the route you did and go with smaller equipment. Love the truck man, and great setup!
Thanks. If anything I figured finally posting this would give fellow Silverado owners some ideas depending on what they want to do. Your box looks really nice and I had a similar setup in my 1999 in that the sub amp (JL Audio Slash) also sat in a recessed area on the top of the box between the two subs. This allowed for clearance under the seat, but as I said, for some reason the later Silverado models have lost even the modest amount of space that was under and behind the rear seat.

Let's face it, I'm not actually someone who can brag about SPL or the amount of watts I have in my system. However, that's not to say it wasn't a challenge to install. In vehicles today, even the simplest installs can be complicated. Especially dealing with stuff like OnStar, door chimes, satellite radio and steering wheel controls. Finding the right aftermarket equipment to make all that shit work, running wire from the engine compartment to inside the cab, re-wiring all of the speakers, sound deadening, etc., well, it isn't a one day project for sure. Probably why I had no motivation at the time to build my own box!

Nice and clean man, I love the truck.
Thanks bro.

Yeah, I have no idea why I am a GM fan. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif I must be nuts now that it is Obama Motors. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/waycrazy.gif.f4a380c3f94043939fd369defd9e6be2.gif

There are a lot of guys here that have some extremely crazy builds and put in a lot of work. I give them props. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif But I posted this as I am sure that there are many here that take the same approach that I do. I used to be crazy into this shit but marriage, home ownership, career and kids tends to change things over time. Not to say that there aren't some diehards around these parts that will never stop building crazy shit. I do enjoy seeing those builds and the end result. Truly some crazy, impressive shit. Way different than back in the 80's when I first got into car audio. And no matter the approach, there is always something you can learn and take away from someone else's build. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Thanks bro.
Yeah, I have no idea why I am a GM fan. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif I must be nuts now that it is Obama Motors. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/waycrazy.gif.f4a380c3f94043939fd369defd9e6be2.gif

There are a lot of guys here that have some extremely crazy builds and put in a lot of work. I give them props. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif But I posted this as I am sure that there are many here that take the same approach that I do. I used to be crazy into this shit but marriage, home ownership, career and kids tends to change things over time. Not to say that there aren't some diehards around these parts that will never stop building crazy shit. I do enjoy seeing those builds and the end result. Truly some crazy, impressive shit. Way different than back in the 80's when I first got into car audio. And no matter the approach, there is always something you can learn and take away from someone else's build. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
I never really liked GM's but that one looks nice.

Things that cost me a lot of money like cars and houses I tend to take care of very well. Way too much money to beat them to shit.
What's worse is people that spend big money on something then they beat the **** out of it then try to sell it for ungodly amounts because it's what they paid. Anywho I'm done post jacking lol.

Nice build and nice truck.

If you were looking for new amps, check the Massive Audio Nano series. I have ran a few of the N4s and an NX4. They were great amps with a super small footprint. Something like an N2 and NX4 would probably work for you. They also make the NX5 which is those two amps in one chassis, but it might be a hair too long to fit into the console.

Nice build and nice truck.
If you were looking for new amps, check the Massive Audio Nano series. I have ran a few of the N4s and an NX4. They were great amps with a super small footprint. Something like an N2 and NX4 would probably work for you. They also make the NX5 which is those two amps in one chassis, but it might be a hair too long to fit into the console.
Yeah, the NX5 would be sweet but you are correct in that it is about 4 inches too wide. Width is 15" and the PDX is a hair over 10" and I have about an inch to spare. Their D-Block series looks interesting as well. How's the heat output for either series if they are stacked? I couldn't quite tell if the N2 and NX4 were class D? It looks as though the D-Block series is class A/B and therefore I'm a bit concerned about heat output as they would be stacked and in a confined space, even with the fans.

Yeah I most likely will not build my own box again, it was a lot of work, and I think by the time I do another build (long ways away) I will have the money to just buy a pre-fab box. I like your build, because its realistic and economical in that it doesn't compromise space inside your car, and it looks relatively stock.

Yeah I most likely will not build my own box again, it was a lot of work, and I think by the time I do another build (long ways away) I will have the money to just buy a pre-fab box. I like your build, because its realistic and economical in that it doesn't compromise space inside your car, and it looks relatively stock.
I don't know if I would call it economical. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Plus, as I am sure many know, it didn't all come together at once and I am constantly tweaking it and looking for new stuff. I'm figuring when all is said and done I've got at least $2K into it over the years, not counting all my own time working on it.

Your box looks good and if I were you, stick to building your own. The one I bought is OK but I still had to modify it to my liking and I think it may have been possible to get it a little bigger so I could stuff a larger sub in there....but also like I said, I don't need to rattle the panels loose either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.