4" coil motors... I need some school plz

brian84corvette
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
specificly I need to know about Rockford Fosgate "power" hx2 motors

bottom says 4" coil / 2000w max / 1000w rms

is this a "trf" motor ? or is the team motor something else that is better ?

and if so - what are the markings on the bottom to specify its diffrent.

and is this sub realley only capable of 1k rms with a 4" coil ?

the reason I ask is :

im wanting to gather parts to build my self a beastly sub.

I already have a 18" cf type cone with tall surround from pap

and I usualy hunt my local swap / wich has tons of rf product and my local flea / pawn shops just to see what they got ( one local pawn has a 4k rf amp for cheapish ) but want to know what im keeping my eyes open for.

ive never had a 4" coil sub / nore seen one in real life - so give me school please.

I wish to know more about them - especialy price wise - as I dont have surplus cash to make stupid buys with at the moment.... like just a motor = $ how much cash ext...

The TRF "Team" motor is a beast. I believe its a triple stack ? There would be no way to confuse them. Search tRF in the classifieds.

The old Power's were only rated at 1K RMS because of the suspension. Coil size isnt everything. Those things had pretty light suspension which would eventually sag under the coil weight if left stored with the cone facing up.

Are you looking for a 4" motor? I have a pair of Fosgate first gen Power series motors with the chrome back plate, Chrome is scratched up but imo its going to be inside a box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The power series HX2 even though it's a 4" coil motor, is by no meens a TRF motor (silver top/black top)...

In stock form the HX2 will handel 1k-2k tops in the correct enclosure, the soft parts **** in not just the HX2 but both versions of the TRF from Rockford.

If you are looking at buying a TRF motor either silver top or black top look forward to spending rite around $300-$350 for just the motor.

The silver top model is more diserable motor for it's larger gap, the black top takes 4 layer coil dood, if you have anymore question just ask and hopefully I got the answer for you. If you want to see a couple of pics that I have of TRF based drivers just lmk.

im more or less looking for a motor yes - but also I need schooling on 4" coil motors.

from what I understand - they need diffrent baskets to bolt up to the motor because regular 3" coil motor baskets simply will not allow a 4" coil to drop thru...

but what I am looking to do is to build a sub to abuse - and im not shure if a 3" coil motor will be as sturdy as a 4" coil might be.

I want to build something with suspension spiders not quite so stiff that it takes 2k to even get the thing moving - but at the same time I want to be able to play it for an hour strait off about 1500 to 2k and not have it burn up - or fail prematurly / only last 6 months when being played that hard...

the car is my lowrider / show car - and when I get it "done" (lol) I want to be able to demo it at local car shows while im there

so when random ppl get in - I wana realley hurt em - and not worry about my coils smokin up.

my current sub is a older model RE sx 18 d2 and while it can take some power - im afraid it simply will not take constant abuse of a saz1500with out burning up - especialy if im slamming bass tracks like dj billy e with a bunch of constant tones in the 30s and lower.

im shure I could recone my current sub to a d1 - and use stiffer spiders - but then its efficency goes out the window ....

socalbean420 - good info.

I guess I need to be specific with my goals - is to use a saz1500 to power a d1 coil sub at .5 ohm

so it might get around 1600 / 1900 rms watts. - so there is no need to try to build myself a 4k capable sub

I just want something to take my amp at .5 load - sound amazing doing it - and last a while before needing rebuilt

If you are looking at building a sub that you can "abuse" you don't need a 4" based sub to do that at all...

If going with a 3" motor, then a good one to start with would be a TC Sounds 3hp and get it built to your needs/wants.

Exactly man...

Get a sub build to your needs, that can be as efficent off of the power that you have!

Why get a sub built that can handle 4k daily when you only have around 1500 rms, the set-up will most likely perform worst if "over enginnering" the sub-stage haha

a trf is a 4hp motor built by catus sounds for rf. eclipse ti pro is made by tc and theres is very simular 4hp.

the power hx2 as johnny stated above had crappy spiders in them and would sag without ever playing them. once rebuilt it can be a nice sub but there is alot better motors out there and cheaper to build. once you jump into the 4" coil arena your talking big money for recones due to not alot of them around.

honestly in my eyes the cost of reconing a power hx2 really isnt worth it in the end.

"honestly in my eyes the cost of reconing a power hx2 really isnt worth it in the end."

this is what I needed to hear.

as im shure in my searchings I could pick up a power 4" coil sub for round 100 to 150

and recone it - but if its twice as expensive to recone a 4" coil sub than a 3"

then it seems more logical to finish gathering 3" coil parts to build the sub to suit my setup.

thank you all.

I am doing 4" coiled chrome trf motored 15's, and no....they are not cheap to build. Baskets are hard to source (ti or xxx baskets) and coils/cones are difficult as well.

Guess it really depends on how much power you want to get out of it. I got a quote from PSI to build a 1000rms d4 4" coil PSI Style with one of those RF power motors I have. 135 estimate is not a bank breaker but it can only go up from there I guess.

My motors were $250 a piece, baskets were $70 for the pair, cones were $80 for the pair....now waiting on price of coils/spiders/leads/assy. I will prolly have $800-900 tied up in them. But I got smokin deals on most of the gear. Could have easily ran me $700 for motors, $150 for baskets, $350 for softparts....then assy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.