Acoustic Elegance

bumpin buick
5,000+ posts

Science is everything
Today I along with several other members, about 10 were given a nice show at John's place. Just to give some people a little reference to the knowledge of John and his shop, and to show its simply not done out of a garage I took a few pictures. Needless to say I think everyone had a great time and it was a great time to check out all the hard work he puts into his stuff.

We also got to inspect the sub that was sent back to him, and we had some good fun with that, vids uploading right now and I will post them but heres some pics for now.

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

john is a cool dude i one talked to him for like an hour or so on the phone back in like 04 when i was wanting to get a av12, but he only had like b stock stuff or somthin. i ended up getting one used over on sound domain

Outstanding.

Thanks for the photos, would love to have been in that crowd.

Were you given free samples? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yea, I saw the woofer papermaker broke, the guy has to be a complete idiot. Even broken the sub play a 189hz tone with no dropoff in SPL what so ever. That is definitely NOT a lack in highend output. Also, at that frequency there was no hint of distortion what so ever. It also had no effect of just moving out and not back at any frequency, everyone there today saw that. Also, I felt John's stiff spider's, they are very stiff, papermaker really has no clue what he is talking about. Finally, as for the sag, there was none. It was identical to a newly built woofer.

Anyway, it was a fun day, I got tweeter pods built, my car's transfer function measured as well as seeing papermaker's woofer wall socketed, great stuff.

Some proof for papermaker that this sub will produce a good amount of sound and we tested up to about 200hz. As you can see I got about 10 forum members in the background as well to confirm it... so its as legit as it gets.

Also this is on Papermakers broken sub he sent in

Then here is us putting it to a wall outlet, 40amp circuit.

haha. just a note on the wall socket. 120V, 20A circuit. The resistance of the coil at 60hz is almost exactly 3ohm.

I = V/R so 120/3 = 40amp

P = 1^2 R so 40^2*3 = 4800W

That may be a LITTLE too much for continuous use. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't go do something stupid and throw 4800W to the woofer and break it because I just can't warranty that.

John

Yea, I saw the woofer papermaker broke, the guy has to be a complete idiot. Even broken the sub play a 189hz tone with no dropoff in SPL what so ever. That is definitely NOT a lack in highend output. Also, at that frequency there was no hint of distortion what so ever. It also had no effect of just moving out and not back at any frequency, everyone there today saw that. Also, I felt John's stiff spider's, they are very stiff, papermaker really has no clue what he is talking about. Finally, as for the sag, there was none. It was identical to a newly built woofer.
Anyway, it was a fun day, I got tweeter pods built, my car's transfer function measured as well as seeing papermaker's woofer wall socketed, great stuff.
x2 on well yea, all of this

Some proof for papermaker that this sub will produce a good amount of sound and we tested up to about 200hz. As you can see I got about 10 forum members in the background as well to confirm it... so its as legit as it gets.

Also this is on Papermakers "broken sub" he sent in
fixed

I was really impressed with how everything was setup there, and the build quality on everything seems great //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif.

I dont have the link off hand but Im sure if you search you can find it.

Heres the cliffs though

Papermaker said his sub stopped working: Folded the cone, tore spider, was only moving one direction

Then made the bold statment that all of Johns woofers have failed.

John paid him to get this woofer back

He demonstrated in front of several of us that even the broken woofer still performed real well, just had a little glue added to the spider but was simply being over excurted and over powered, specially for the enclosure and tuning that papermaker had. Papermaker and Kenndog seem to have been proven time and time again that they are wrong but wont admit it and keep calling out AE which honeslty is one the most impressive companies and build qualtities I have seen.

Did somebody say excursion?
I want to point out that it is still the broken woofer from papermaker in this video and due to the cone folding the coil had a little bit of rub that would not be in a new sub. Also, John clipped his amp for a second or 2 in teh video which added to the sound. All in all, I got a brand new from the factory sub from a company before that had more coil rub than this sub did after papermaker beat the hell out of it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.