Active w/ DEH-80PRS, but still set HPFs/LPFs on amp for double safety?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tbonem3

LA, CA
Hi there,

Running active with the DEH-80PRS. Tweeters and rear fill connected to a memphis mc2004, 50 x 4, and mids (front) and sub to a mca3004, 75 x 2, 230 x 1. Both amps set to flat.

Tweets HPF @ 4k

Mids HPF 4k, LPF 63

low LPF 63

Should I also set HPFs and LPFs for my speakers at the amps as a safety precaution so that they don't receive signal that I don't want them to in case of failure to the 80PRS? I have good adjustability on my amps - crossovers for every 2 channels, 18db/oct on the mc2004 and 18/12db/oct choice on the mca3004. I also trust the crossovers on the Memphis amps to work properly. I was running passive before and used them to good, accurate effect.

Like, set the HPF on the tweets @ 3.5k and the band pass at 3.5k, 60hz and LPF at 70. I chose these examples because they're lower (or higher) than the HPFs and LPFs I chose for the headunit.

Would those amp-set HPFs and LPFs not interfere and only come into play if the headunit failed?

Does this make sense?

Thanks guys!

Tyler

You can try it but with multiple different filters with more than likely different types of roll off good chance it will change the sound, if you cant audibly hear it i dont see it hurting anything.

And usually you dont have the crossover setting set at the same crossover remember depending on the type of filter there is a db roll off if its set at both 63 they start there roll off at that so now your 63HZ is at +3db. same with 4K.

Forgot, I can't set a band pass on the amps, it would have to be a HPF OR a LPF for the mids.

gimling - I understand about roll offs, slopes, db per octave - what are you saying about "don't have the crossover setting at the same crossover"? Are you talking about setting, through the 80PRS, the HFP on my highs at 4k and the LPF of my mids at 4k? I don't get much of a choice on the 80PRS - it goes from 4k to 3.15k. Are you saying to set the HPF of my highs at 4k and the LPF of my mids at 3.15k? That's a big gap.

I am concerned about changing the sound by having the HPFs and LPFs on my amps set too close to the HPFs and LPFs of the headunit. Maybe I'm trying to be too smart or whatever.

24db/oct slopes on the 80PRS btw.

Edit - nvm, you're probably talking about the overlap. I haven't played with the crossover points or slops yet, just got the 80prs. I guess I could set the LPF on the mids at 3.15 and use a 12db/oct slope to close the gap to the tweet's 4k HPF.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot, I can't set a band pass on the amps, it would have to be a HPF OR a LPF for the mids.
gimling - I understand about roll offs, slopes, db per octave - what are you saying about "don't have the crossover setting at the same crossover"? Are you talking about setting, through the 80PRS, the HFP on my highs at 4k and the LPF of my mids at 4k? I don't get much of a choice on the 80PRS - it goes from 4k to 3.15k. Are you saying to set the HPF of my highs at 4k and the LPF of my mids at 3.15k? That's a big gap.

I am concerned about changing the sound by having the HPFs and LPFs on my amps set too close to the HPFs and LPFs of the headunit. Maybe I'm trying to be too smart or whatever.

24db/oct slopes on the 80PRS btw.

Thanks
Really only one right answer. Do not use x-overs on the amps, only use on the 80PRS. Once you set them correctly on the HU, setting them on the amps doesn't add to any "safety."

Ok, will leave amps x-over on flat then. How do you protect your tweeters then if the HU x-over fails? Capacitor? I'm not a great electrician, so I thought I could protect my tweeters by setting a second HPF at the amp (at a lower point than the headunit so it doesn't interfere). But like I said, probably being too "smart" or dumb lol.

Ok, will leave amps x-over on flat then. How do you protect your tweeters then if the HU x-over fails? Capacitor? I'm not a great electrician, so I thought I could protect my tweeters by setting a second HPF at the amp (at a lower point than the headunit so it doesn't interfere). But like I said, probably being too "smart" or dumb lol.
I've never heard of x-overs failing on a deck. I think the deck itself would fail before you'd have to worry about anything like that. You're just overthinking it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.