Too many power/ground runs?

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Ok, so I crunched some numbers today after cutting holes.

I have enough wire and lugs to do sixteen runs of power and another 16 of ground with my Sky High 2/0 OFC.

Now, I'm not completely stupid. That's wayyyyy overkill for just about anything.

My question for yall' is how many runs you would do? Was planning to go for the wow factor with electrical upgrade overkill, but don't want to be too dumb with it.

Will be running a Taramps 20.2 at 1 ohm nominal. Supposedly can pull upwards of 1,000 amps on music. Possibly more.

My current electrical is one 320 amp Singer hairpin alt and five group 49's totaling 400 ah. Depending on voltage drop, I may add another alternator and up to five more batteries. May try caps too, who knows.

I will be sealing around the power/ground runs, so I don't want to have to run more later on.

Also may be upgrading to the 30k when it comes out.

Useful advice is appreciated. Thanks.

If it fits and you have it, i would do it. Maybe youll get a second 20k some day lol but **** thats alot of **** wire going theough a little fierro that must be like 10" in diameter if you put them ttogether through a pvc pipe

If it fits and you have it, i would do it. Maybe youll get a second 20k some day lol but **** thats alot of **** wire going theough a little fierro that must be like 10" in diameter if you put them ttogether through a pvc pipe
Yea, wanted to be future proof. Got a great deal on the wire

Just didn't want everyone to be like "that's dumb", but i guess I get a lot of that anyways.

Got holes cut already. Running along the side of my engine bay. Will do something to reduce exposure to heat.

If you only have 320 amps you only need enough runs to supply 320 amps
Umm... no?

I have batteries, so there is going to be a lot more than 320 amps going to the amplifier for bursts..

I can see you replacing your whole carpet floor with a 2/0 wire floor. That would look sick.

Real talk though, you'll only need one or two runs max
That would be awesome, haha. Amplifier can pull 1000 amps, so I was thinking minimum of four.

I think I might do 8, then have some extra just in case. May decide to put something in my truck after my car is maxed out on audios

Umm... no?
I have batteries, so there is going to be a lot more than 320 amps going to the amplifier for bursts..

That would be awesome, haha. Amplifier can pull 1000 amps, so I was thinking minimum of four.

I think I might do 8, then have some extra just in case. May decide to put something in my truck after my car is maxed out on audios
How long are the runs from the batteries to the amps? I'm guessing a foot. I'm talking the runs from the alt to the batteries.

Actually, thinking about it more, I'll do six runs that are a bit longer. Then I can just do two 2/0 wires per input if i do get the 30k. NRG metalworks has some of those dual inputs

How long are the runs from the batteries to the amps? I'm guessing a foot. I'm talking the runs from the alt to the batteries.
Batteries to amp would be six foot.

Alt to battery bank is a little over a foot.

I was talking about amp runs. Sorry, we weren't on the same page. I see what you're saying now

4 runs of power and ground, 8 total, would be plenty. Ampacity of 2/0 is over 300 amps afaik for around ~50ft.
It's 600 amps at I forget what length. Basically twice what 1/0 is.

Actually, thinking about it more, I'll do six runs that are a bit longer. Then I can just do two 2/0 wires per input if i do get the 30k. NRG metalworks has some of those dual inputs
Have those amps ever show to do rated? Most I've seen was 10K out of the 20K

Have those amps ever show to do rated? Most I've seen was 10K out of the 20K
I don't think so, but they still pull a lot of amperage and make a lot of power.

Any Korean amps make 10k when wired to one ohm?

If you wire them to .5 or lower, then Korean amps can make rated or at least close on a reactive load. However, they aren't as efficient as Brazilian stuff, so electrical ends up costing you more anyways.

Cheaper amp and less electrical is good for me. Don't care what it's rated to do as long as it actually makes a solid number.

I don't think so, but they still pull a lot of amperage and make a lot of power.
Any Korean amps make 10k when wired to one ohm?

If you wire them to .5 or lower, then Korean amps can make rated or at least close on a reactive load. However, they aren't as efficient as Brazilian stuff, so electrical ends up costing you more anyways.

Cheaper amp and less electrical is good for me. Don't care what it's rated to do as long as it actually makes a solid number.
5% efficiency difference is not going to be that big of a difference. That Crescendo 12k.

Don't fall into getting something for nothing. You know better

Find one test Tfade has done on them and didn't get smoke

5% efficiency difference is not going to be that big of a difference. That Crescendo 12k.
Don't fall into getting something for nothing. You know better

Find one test Tfade has done on them and didn't get smoke
Actually was seriously considering the Crescendo 12k, but didn't see any used. Twisted Sounds 8.5k uses the same board. Still an 8.5k amp. Ampere TFE uses the same board too iirc, but somehow made over 10k into a resistive 1 ohm load?

Still, if it makes the same power and is just as efficient, I don't think I got a bad deal. I just didn't get a better deal per say.

They don't like resistive loads. Subs are reactive, so that doesn't bother me. Also, he even said that he didn't have the electrical to fully test it. I hope I do have the electrical to run it daily. That's why I see myself getting another alt and doubling the battery bank in the future.

Actually was seriously considering the Crescendo 12k, but didn't see any used. Twisted Sounds 8.5k uses the same board. Still an 8.5k amp. Ampere TFE uses the same board too iirc, but somehow made over 10k into a resistive 1 ohm load?
Still, if it makes the same power and is just as efficient, I don't think I got a bad deal. I just didn't get a better deal per say.

They don't like resistive loads. Subs are reactive, so that doesn't bother me. Also, he even said that he didn't have the electrical to fully test it. I hope I do have the electrical to run it daily. That's why I see myself getting another alt and doubling the battery bank in the future.
He smoked every Brazilian he tested. Just do it right the first time or it will end up costing more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.