adjusting EQ's on pioneer P8mp

Participant count
  • Participant list

M@nJo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
bay area
i have just about everything right, but im having trouble on "fine-adjusting" the EQ's. im not talking about the low/mid/high, but more specifically, the Q factor & frequencies (hz).

heres what my manual states:

Low: 40-80-100-160 (hz)

Mid: 200-500-1k-2k (Hz)

high: 3.15k-8k-10k-12.5k (hz)

and each of the following have a "q-factor" of either "2N-1N-1W-2W".

theres also a graph that shows a center frequency, level (db), and frequency Hz with a symbol of Q=2N & Q-2W.

any idea what this "q-factor" is in basic terms and what is it? and what do you guys have your EQs set at? (if there similar to what i posted).

"Q Factor" refers to how NARROW or WIDE the boost/cut curve is at a particular frequency. 2W will boost/cut more above and below a frequency. 2N will boost/cut more closely to the EQ frequency, and not so much above and below.

These adjustments are helpful in fine tuning your sound. Experiment with different settings and let your ear be the judge.

With my Pioneer 7400 I had it set like this:

BASS 40Hz 2W +/- 1 depends on the music

MID 500Hz 2N +1

HIGH 8Hz 2N +1

It also had 2 other EQ adjustments those were set at

2,000Hz 2N -1 this was to get rid of "harshness" at high volumes.

80Hz 2N -1

what are the advantages of certain frequencies having a more narrow or wider adjustment?

thanks

Advantages are more accurate frequency adjustments to help create the the frequency response you are looking for. Being able to raise or lower right at or all around a given frequency gives you more flexiblity.

A cars interior can be an acoustical nightmare. Sometimes it takes a lot of tuning to get it right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.