AGM Drycell with hole in housing - yes or no?

Participant count
  • Participant list

momofx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
IL, USA
Got a Kinetik HC3800 from a friend and apparently ups damaged the battery and it had a hole the size of a quarter on the housing near the negative terminal.

Oddly the battery still read 12.9 volts when charged but I noticed it would charge to full very fast...

Do you guys think this battery is any good still or not? I was wondering since it is a drycell maybe the hole did not affect it (we patched it up with epoxy and a piece of plastic btw)...

edit : just did a load test on it and it went up to around 400A before dropping to 10v after like 10 seconds...

I actually saw a tipped over ups semi truck Friday on my way to Ohio from Chicago. I'm pretty sure you could send it back and get another one since it's UPS fault

Got a Kinetik HC3800 from a friend and apparently ups damaged the battery and it had a hole the size of a quarter on the housing near the negative terminal.
Oddly the battery still read 12.9 volts when charged but I noticed it would charge to full very fast...

Do you guys think this battery is any good still or not? I was wondering since it is a drycell maybe the hole did not affect it (we patched it up with epoxy and a piece of plastic btw)...

edit : just did a load test on it and it went up to around 400A before dropping to 10v after like 10 seconds...

Oxygen will cause the terminals to start corroding. When the terminals start corroding you will see a higher internal resistance.

With non-agm, there is acid covering the terminals, but since agm the acid is absorbed which leaves the terminals exposed.

Just one of the several reasons why agm batts are sealed.

Holy crap man thats like mega double posting lol. But ok so youre saying it is probably bad? I noticed it was reaching its full voltage alot faster and then the charger would kick off.... maybe thats one of the issues it has now hmmm....

Oxygen getting in the battery will cause problems. The terminals will start oxidizing.
Non-agm batteries have acid covering the terminals, but since agm the acid is absorbed so they are sealed to keep oxygen out.
Oxygen will cause the terminals to start corroding. When the terminals start corroding you will see a higher internal resistance.
With non-agm, there is acid covering the terminals, but since agm the acid is absorbed which leaves the terminals exposed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.