Alpine type R subs are they the real deal or hyped

if u want LOUD and nice deep bass! id check out Skar they are reasonably priced and when u put a skar vvx or evl next to a jl or alpine youll be amazed! I got a vvx 15 inch and I'm very impressed , I had two jbl s3 12s befor and this one 15 beats those dual 12's I had easly! and its only wired at 4 ohms right now whiel I break it in but I will be going to 1 ohm shortly!

You gotta be fucking kidding.....
Lol... the Skar Evl-12's arent bad at all... the set I had went low and pretty loud for the price. I'm rebuilding currently and will go with something else this time but for a mid level budget 12 the Evl did ok for me.

146.4 @ 35hz in a 31hz tuned box... it got a little rowdy in the car. I should have aeroported the Spl box I did but still made it to 149.2 in a small Suv.

The brand as a whole seems to have a point where the products go from TOTAL skarbage to decent, even pretty good.

Lol... the Skar Evl-12's arent bad at all... the set I had went low and pretty loud for the price. I'm rebuilding currently and will go with something else this time but for a mid level budget 12 the Evl did ok for me.
146.4 @ 35hz in a 31hz tuned box... it got a little rowdy in the car. I should have aeroported the Spl box I did but still made it to 149.2 in a small Suv.

The brand as a whole seems to have a point where the products go from TOTAL skarbage to decent, even pretty good.
they were never really skarbage, same cookie cutter sh*t as always but they are cheaping out a lot more

the release of the evls and rp 2000 series amps vs their original zvx, and SK lines is a HUGE major downgrade in quality. So yeah the company is going to sh*t eventually just like american bass.

Downhill?.. they get so much hate already I'm curious what's gonna be said then... yes, the evl is a downgrade from the zvx and is priced accordingly. I liked mine tho for the price, next time im doin a pair of 15's on 5k in about 8.5ft3 net... any suggestions that will give me decent results with a mid-low 30's tune?

For under $300 ea if possible

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, JL is a bit overpriced, but the W7s are pretty heavy hitters. Its capable of good SPL without sounding like complete crap, but, if set up correctly, it can actually be used as a SQ sub. I think best SQ system in 2017 at IASCA went to a dude using a W7. That being said, I think the W6v3 is slightly better suited for SQ for most of us. Additionally, JL isn’t a bad choice if looking for a blend of SQ and SPL without compromising one or the other too much.

i had 2 of the new type r's in a slot ported box @2cuft. tuned at 34h. cadence z7000 pushing them hard! 2 years, loud bass, not a problem with them, ended up selling them... in short, you dam right id recommend them, definitely if you want to stay in the 300$ range for subs

Why do you think American Bass is going to ****?
ever since the launch of the vfl hybrids and phantom lines, the rest of their amp lines are following suit. Their vfl comp 2k only did a 1555 watt uncertified on the amp dyno and that amp costs A LOT while being rated 2k. so yeah straight down the sh*tter.

AB subs are still pretty good for the money. They aren't anything cutting edge but offer good bang for your buck.

The only AB amps I would mess with are the older VFL SPL amps (80.1, 100.1, 120.1, 150.1 etc) Not VFL Audio and not the VFL hybrids or any other series.

AB's customer service is also pretty crappy which is disappointing. I have been to their HQ and it's just Bob the owner and a 2-3 other guys filling orders. It's a very small operation but that's no excuse not to answer emails regarding technical questions related to them not publishing tsp's on their website.

I still recommend their products (subs and vfl spl series amps) despite the lack of customer service because excluding their new amps I've had good results with their stuff.

I was mainly meaning woofers don’t know much about their amps. Just picked up 2 xr12s and they are knocking and clean and I’m in to them for about the same money I spent on my type r’s

I know everybody feels like American bass is going downhill and on some level I definitely agree but in regards to the vfl comp line of amps they are the exact same amps as the older vfl amps that were branded American Bass just a black heat sink and yes the stickers on the amps are slightly overrated but my vfl comp 4k's are the exact same thing as an American Bass 200.1 I paid 750 each brand new locally could not even get close to touching an AB 200.1 for that price and I did enough research to know what they were before I bought them the 200.1 was raided at 3800 W RMS at 1 ohm in the New Black heatsink from vfl audio it's rated at 4000 Watts RMS into 1 ohm not enough of a difference to run me off for less money in the build quality on the vfl audio amps is still top-notch I am far from an amp Tech but from what I can tell they are exactly the same just put in the research to make sure you're getting the board you want from what I have seen the vfl audio 5K is the American bass 450.1 the 6K is the 500.1 the 3K is the 150.1 and so forth and so on plus I'm sure most of you already know but for those who don't they have released a ton of new products under both brands in the last few years and redesigned the HD and XFL series of Subs with new baskets American-made coils and higher Excursion at least American made coils on the HD I should say not sure about the XFL but both subs look **** good especially for the money not my Top Choice far from it actually but if I was limited on budget and where I live in Indy that is about the most common non-mainstream brand so if I was trying to put something together easy and cheap that was still quality I would have no problem running their stuff

I know everybody feels like American bass is going downhill and on some level I definitely agree but in regards to the vfl comp line of amps they are the exact same amps as the older vfl amps that were branded American Bass just a black heat sink and yes the stickers on the amps are slightly overrated but my vfl comp 4k's are the exact same thing as an American Bass 200.1 I paid 750 each brand new locally could not even get close to touching an AB 200.1 for that price and I did enough research to know what they were before I bought them the 200.1 was raided at 3800 W RMS at 1 ohm in the New Black heatsink from vfl audio it's rated at 4000 Watts RMS into 1 ohm not enough of a difference to run me off for less money in the build quality on the vfl audio amps is still top-notch I am far from an amp Tech but from what I can tell they are exactly the same just put in the research to make sure you're getting the board you want from what I have seen the vfl audio 5K is the American bass 450.1 the 6K is the 500.1 the 3K is the 150.1 and so forth and so on plus I'm sure most of you already know but for those who don't they have released a ton of new products under both brands in the last few years and redesigned the HD and XFL series of Subs with new baskets American-made coils and higher Excursion at least American made coils on the HD I should say not sure about the XFL but both subs look **** good especially for the money not my Top Choice far from it actually but if I was limited on budget and where I live in Indy that is about the most common non-mainstream brand so if I was trying to put something together easy and cheap that was still quality I would have no problem running their stuff
their old stuff was rated right, why are they overbloating rms ratings now? Its not just slightly overrated. 1500 out of 2000 = the amp only does 75% of its rated numbers. The comp 2k amp is 300 dollars for 1500 watts... you can get a 2k anywhere else for much cheaper. For that price of a comp 4k, i'd rather wait till vital power has a sale and goes for 900 dollars again and you literally get double the power output with the 700.1. Hell even a twisted sounds 2.8k that dynos around 4k certified for 400 dollars would smoke the comp 4k costing 750. The twisted sounds 3.5k for 599$ would outright r@pe the comp 4k. I legit see zero reasons to ever buy an american bass amp new ever again when they pulling this hifonics level BS.

Would have deff went with a vp but I had never heard of them when I bought my amps plus there is no local dealer that carries them or Twisted sounds Twisted sounds was the amp that I really wanted when I was shopping around but I could not find the 2.8 k 4 Less Than 599 and a 3.5 k for less than 899 and none of that was local would have had to have ordered any of them next best amps I could find locally was the XTR 4000.1 and they were the same price I know buying local isn't always the best bet but it does mean something to me to try to support local business Plus for somebody who has never ordered anything online in their life it can be a bit intimidating to send that much money off to somewhere you'll never see and I definitely agree that over writing the 2K like that is total BS and not a good direction to take your business in but on the other hand I do feel like they fill a void for people like me who want competition level equipment and have literally no decent local distributors because you can get their products almost anywhere

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.