alt - bat positive wire routing

BeAlLsTaR13
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
New York
im doing the big three in my vehicle atm

heres pics of my car under the hood showing where the alt is:

engine, showing distance from alt. and batt.

21dlro1.jpg

showing where alt is, under all the junk:

3522poo.jpg

alternator positive with boot covering, **Can only get to this from UNDER the car**:

160bdhk.jpg

what would be the best way to route the wire? its Knu KLMX Kable, 1/0 Gauge, i just wanna wire it the best way so that the wire cant rub against the engine and burn through the wire casing or anything like that.

i take it the blue is the fuse block, right?

but how do i get the wire to the underside of the alt, and still run it that way? it'll scrape up against the engine.

you gotta get creative. its hard to tell you the exact route unless we have worked on that exact car.
well would it get hot enough (not the wire its self, the engine) to burn through the outer casing of the wire?

try it and let us know. There are certain things you have to try it your self sometimes . I'd try to stick under the front plastic pieces somehow .
21dlro1.jpg

i was thinking that too, i just wanna go the safest route where it can stay forever and not get the wire casing burned by the metal or get damaged anyway

Unless you have upgraded your factory alt, upgrading the alt POS+ wire is pretty useless IMO //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

You can take my method of doing the big 3.

From the + terminal on the alt to the radiator where I ran it across the car under the radiator and zip-tied it to the existing wire harness where I then ran it up the side of the tire well; under the bat and it comes up right between the stock air box and the battery. (group 65 battery installed, I think the stock bat was group 31...but I could be wrong)

If you want/need I can take pics in about 3-4 hours.

Unless you have upgraded your factory alt, upgrading the alt POS+ wire is pretty useless IMO //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Your post is completely useless //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

OP, like others have said, try to run the cable along existing wires so you can ziptie it. I would try to run it along the front of the engine and away from the top part of the engine block. If you see anywhere that the factory wiring has a metal loom around it, that means it gets hot there so stay away.

i ended up running it this way.. was a pain int he ass because the pos bolt was behind so much crap, it was hard to get to and took over 20mins to get it off and prolly double that to get back on, worked both under the car and from above it -_- and i wrapped it in split wire loom, and used wire ties to help mount the wire along the outside edge

well heres pics of my big three upgrade:

1000528.jpg

engine block to chassis:

1000529k.jpg

blue wire = alternator pos - battery pos **fused 250A** red = bat neg to chassis

1000530syt.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.