Amp and Speaker Matching

Participant count
  • Participant list
I apologize if this has been covered 100 times but I can't find a definitive answer.

I am wondering what is the philosophy for matching wattages of speakers and amps?

I am considering purchasing 75 watt RMS speakers and an amp that delivers 100 watt RMS per channel. Can I use the gain controls to effectively drive the speakers without damaging them?

From what I heave read, it is common to have the amp deliver more power than the speakers can handle so the amp doesn't have to work full out to deliver the power you want. Not sure if this is correct but that's why I'm here.

Thanks for your help.

B

20% more power is the standard. Most of us are way over that. Think about how long your car would last if you drove full throttle all the time.
yes, what he said ^^^ its best to get an amp with more power as it gives you head room. all my amps are.

and you have to set your gain right for the speaker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.