ANOTHER Sub Shootout/Design Question Regarding Sundown/Dayton/SSA (SQ Build)

neo_styles
10+ year member

AKA Pop Twidget
WA
Yes, I know it's been discussed before and I have used the search function on here and DIYMA, but I'm looking for questions more directly related to my circumstances.

Over the next year or two, I will be slowly adding onto my system in a 2006 B6 VW Passat (without Dynaudio) which is currently bone stock. Next week I will be installing a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH (a step up from the AppRadio2 I was originally looking at). Main reason for this over a 80prs or 99 are the feature set as I am an avid iPhone user and have a jailbroken 4s, so I plan to take full advantage of App access on my head unit. After that (and depending on how much bday money I receive this year) I intend to deaden my doors, dash, and trunk with some RaaMat and Ensolite.

Following that I am looking at adding 1 or 2 subs to the back. Keep in mind I am strictly SQ, do not need/want to be heard more than 10 feet outside the car, but still want a good LF extension for the times I listen to trance and D&B. I'm hoping the sound opens up a bit with the head unit upgrade, but I'm worried that adding subs will overwhelm my stock speakers. After reading TONS of info about placement of subs I have decided I am comfortable with a box that is faced towards the split folding seats to avoid wave cancellation. I have no preference of sealed vs ported, though I would like to keep the box small enough to fit into the space underneath the rear deck to preserve storage space in my trunk.

Contenders are 2 Dayton 12" DVC HOs, 2 SA-8 D4v2s, and 2 SSA ICON 10" DVC 4ohm. All options would be wired down to 1 ohm and mated to a Sundown SAX-1200. I am flexible on amp options as well, but don't want this project to end up cost-prohibitive as I have to get WAF (wife-approval factor) on all decisions. Believe me, getting approval to upgrade the head unit was enough of a stretch.

Final stage of this upgrade would include HAT Clarus in the front and HAT Imagine running in coax in rear doors powered by a Zed Leviathan III if this helps shape the upgrade path.

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why would you bother using HAT and ZED with a deck that isnt active capable regardless of iPhone compatibility? Even the p80 is compatible and will sound much better over the P8400.

Because I'm getting a double-din, multimedia, Advanced App Mode-capable deck. I am not intending to go active through the head unit and probably won't go active until much further down the road. Like I said in my first post, the only reason I'm getting the go-ahead right now is because of the fact I can run apps off the head unit.

Once I'm ready to go active, I'll most likely drop in a MS-8 (hopefully MS-10 by then) or Audison BitOne. The reason for my vote on the Leviathan has to do with the excellent crossover network and beefy power. Running that as a six-channel would be more than enough headroom for any application (especially if I upgrade to Legatias or Dyns).

Just spent a little more time scanning the specs of the ICON and would like to replace the ICON for the DCON on the list of options. Still a pair of 10" 4ohm DVC. So it's now DCON vs SA-8 vs Dayton HO. Also considering replacing the Leviathan for one or two PDX-V9s.

I'm starved for advice and direction guys. Feel free to educate me.

bump

Come on guys. You'll wax poetic to someone looking at L7s in an SQ build but I'm getting nothing. I need something concrete I can show the wife...

I have to get WAF (wife-approval factor) on all decisions. Believe me, getting approval to upgrade the head unit was enough of a stretch.

I need something concrete I can show the wife...

You sound like an intelligent enough guy, and I appreciate the fact that you're looking at the SQ end of things instead of the frequent SPL....but I'm afraid you've kinda lost my interest by being so pussy-whipped.

bump
Come on guys. You'll wax poetic to someone looking at L7s in an SQ build but I'm getting nothing. I need something concrete I can show the wife...
These people are fuck tards. It's like going to the zoo and asking the animals how to be civilized.

If I had to choose.. I would pick the SA8. Not because I prefer Sundown.. but because it's going to perform better given that it's got an optimal home than the others. That's simply my opinion.

I was somewhat kidding on the WAF aspect but it shows I'm just not coming on here saying

"Yo man Im lookin for some crazy tight bass to come out my whip something to make the cops go **** and the ladies shake their asses"

J31, please elaborate on the optimal home for the SA8.

And Flex you always say something worth at least a chuckle so I take it in stride. I still want to hear your take on things...

ICON is good in sealed at 1.25cubes, prolly offers a bit more in slightly larger ported enclosure, tho.

DCON is even better and can go as low as 0.9 (1.2cubes prime) sealed

Dayton RSS315HO-4 can go even smaller, and I think is recommended as low as 0.75....and have even heard some folks running in less than that, but not sending the full WRMS to it.

SA is a solid speaker, but just not generally "in the running" for someone desiring SQ.

If I could stand to go with 1.2-1.25, I would prolly choose the DCON. If space was a big consideration, I'd go with the Dayton HO..... both are good choices.

BTW, what made you narrow your choices down to just these 3 ?

Hours of obsessive research between here, DIYMA, buwaldahybrids, and a couple other forums. I'm trying to keep the subs under 200 each and did my best to powermatch with a few amps I'd been eyeing.

I'm always open to other options and am nowhere close to nuthugger on anything. My only previous sub experiences were a 12v3v2 and Infinity Reference 12, both sealed. Tried the Infinity first in a 99 Jetta Wolfsburg, then switched to the 12w3. Kept the W3 when I changed over to a 2004 Ion Redline but eventually sold it from sheer stupidity.

My only previous sub experiences were a 12v3v2
Heard the w6 ?

Another possible option for an SQ-based system, and recommended at 1.25cubes....

And WD had two Adire Koda 8s for sale on here, dunno if they sold. Solid SQ subs, and yet another option for you as compared to a single 12...

I have to hold off for a bit before I actually purchase these (think tax return season), but I'm always trying to plan each step out. Appreciate the heads up on the Adires.

I have heard the W6 IB at various storefronts but that was years ago. They were definitely impressive and I can remember how tight and musical they were. My only gripe is they feel a tad cost-prohibitive unless I strike a good deal used and even then I'm looking at somewhere close to $250 just for the sub. Aren't they pretty power-hungry though? I seem to remember they need closer to 700+W before they start to shine.

My only gripe is they feel a tad cost-prohibitive unless I strike a good deal used and even then I'm looking at somewhere close to $250 just for the sub. Aren't they pretty power-hungry though? I seem to remember they need closer to 700+W before they start to shine.
Yeah, I'd never buy one @retail.

And a properly designed enclosure along with proper deadening will alleviate having to push a lot of power to one....plus the Dayton is rated around the same.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.