anybody doing exotic boxes

Originally posted by Corsica Horn drivers sound like something that would be rather interesting to construct. I would like to try it. What materials would u suggest fror them?

J
braced MDF----- I have built a comprimised bass horn for my car. Though it was so comprised that it sounded like a 1 note box ---------------but F*cKing loud The horn mouth exited right into the cabin in my car from the trunk

I'm helping a friend build a horn enclosure for his home theater. We are loading the enclosure in the floor of the room. Can't wait to hear it. It should be awesome. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by ramos I'm helping a friend build a horn enclosure for his home theater. We are loading the enclosure in the floor of the room. Can't wait to hear it. It should be awesome. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
like this-------------- http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

what are the specs to the horn system??

what flare or combo flare rates are you using?

what are the throat and mouth and length sizes?

what is it tuned to?

What is the radiation angle? finite, 1/2space, 1/4 space?

how many drivers?

what is the design goal? sensitivity--- efficiency

where did you get your horn formulas from ?

It's quite large. We are still working out the math. We are using the W. Marshall Leach horn model for the basic formula's. We are using 1 Electro-voice EVM12L. ( I had an extra laying around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ) The goal we are aiming for is efficiency. We intend on using a single channel 50w amp. According to the response plots we have done. It should be quite incredible for a single 12" and 50w //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif right now we are working on a 30hz tuning. I know it's going to be huge. But we have a whole room. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by Corsica **** chris!!! That's the only word to come to mind here. I would love to hear this ****!!~! Anybody have an enclosure like this in the Western NY area??

J
----basshorn???? go to your nearest concert though they aren't as big and powerful as what were talking about----- basshorns can make one 12" sub sound like------ a whole rack of 12"s sealed
thing is ---- they can be somewhat big

That's our intent. To make one 12" with 50w, sound like several with 10 times the power. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by Corsica How would I go about building one for a car?? And do these have really good SPL as opposed to a ported or vented box??

J
well ------- that remains to be seen as you can see there are complications
1 ----------- tuning to bass freq requires huge boxes that are ------ at the smallest ------ as big as your whole car's cabin

2 ----------- the more you fold a horn the more noise and response problems you run into

3 ----------- It can be seen a wasting space when compared to normal systems with small sealed boxes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.