Anyone with 04-08 Grand Prix's w/o Monsoon?

Participant count
  • Participant list

goodguy8705
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a few (read: a lot) questions for those that have installed aftermarket decks and such in the 2004-2008 model Grand Prix's.

Here is my post from the Grand Prix forum where no one knows anything. That or they just don't want to help. Probably the latter.

I'm going to put a KDC-X692 in and on Crutchfield they include a GMOS adapter for OnStar and safety chimes.
I have some questions and would love to know what I'm getting into before I get into it.

Do I need this?

What "chimes" do I lose?

What issues do I face if I don't use it?

Are there cheaper solutions?

I don't use OnStar. I read that there are issues with the small screen that displays mileage when installing aftermarket head units.

I also read something about losing the car's "system time" but am unsure how important that is. Important?

Does the adapter fix these problems?

Are there even any problems?

Can someone help me out? I would love to avoid shucking out $50 if I can.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

If you leave your keys in the door, headlights on, engine failure, overheating engine, airbags malfunction, etc...

You need chimes. Don't be a cheap ass. If you can't afford the $100 adapter, then stick with th OEM radio.

I just have a wiring harness adapter. I have all speakers amplified so I didnt need anything but power,ground,acc,remote. Everything else is run with rca's.

The only thing I lost was the date and time stamp, and never knew there were chimes. Your HUD still displays all issues so who needs chimes!

Which adapter did you use? A lot of the places I looked didn't have the plain wiring adapter for my model. They only had the GMOS-01 adapter.

I didn't look very hard though.

My main questions are now:

PAC:

Can I use the PAC CM1 by itself or is it absolutely necessary to use it with a PAC OS-2?

Metra:

If my car has OnStar but I don't use it, can I use just the Axxess GMRC-01 or do I still need the Axxess GMOS-01?

This is a pain in the ass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.