AQ 2200D tested!

Here lilmaniac

VAC 58.9

CAC 28.45

Apparent power: 1675.7 watts

Reactive Impedance: 2.07 ohms

TL score: 139.1 at 30hz

Note: I believe the subsonic filter is starting to drop power at this point. Also 1/0 running into the amp would have to help at this power level. I'm out of time for today, or I would put some in there.

Here lilmaniac
VAC 58.9

CAC 28.45

Apparent power: 1675.7 watts

Reactive Impedance: 2.07 ohms

TL score: 139.1 at 30hz

Note: I believe the subsonic filter is starting to drop power at this point. Also 1/0 running into the amp would have to help at this power level. I'm out of time for today, or I would put some in there.
i think it has more so to do with the power factor. the closer you get back to your nominal load, the more accurate the calculation is going to be. the farther you get away from it, the more "apparent power" you will have, instead of actual power. the subsonic will affect it, but id like to see it turned off to see if it really is.

i think the first test figures a little inflated for this very reason.

immacomputer can probably explain this better than me.

i think it has more so to do with the power factor. the closer you get back to your nominal load, the more accurate the calculation is going to be. the farther you get away from it, the more "apparent power" you will have, instead of actual power. the subsonic will affect it, but id like to see it turned off to see if it really is.

meh maybe, but until somebody comes up with a better way of mesuring power in a car atomosphere we can deal with it being a few hundred watts off.

meh maybe, but until somebody comes up with a better way of mesuring power in a car atomosphere we can deal with it being a few hundred watts off.
i dont have a problem with the current way of testing. im just saying that i will more readily trust a figure with a 1 ohm rise than a 3 ohm (hence why im trusting the test with the 2 ohm figure a lot more) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i dont have a problem with the current way of testing. im just saying that i will more readily trust a figure with a 1 ohm rise than a 3 ohm (hence why im trusting the test with the 2 ohm figure a lot more) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
got ya, but in reality how much off could the 1st figure be, serious question as I have never did any research on " apparent power"

I don't need an explanation. I've had plenty of classes covering AC power. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The subsonic can't be turned off on this amp, or I would shut it off to show the difference. Every amp I have tested that you could shut it off gains a fair amount down in the 30 hz range with it shut off, thus the reason for my statement. Yes the phase angle plays a part too, but the subsonic plays as big or bigger part.

got ya, but in reality how much off could the 1st figure be, serious question as I have never did any research on " apparent power"
i will search and post back as soon as i find what im looking for. immacomputer did some explaining about it.

edit: heres a good post http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2489417&postcount=108 which talks about the "power triangle"

and from immacomputer http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2488852&postcount=99 . this link relates to tommyk's test on a sundown 1500d (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198421&highlight=power+factor) . tommyk's testing showed about 1100w. immacomputer says its closer to about 400w real watts with the 1100 being the "apparent power" figure.

True Power = sqrt((VA)^2 - (VAR)^2)

VAR = VA X sine (phase angle)

True Power = VA X cosine (phase angle)

Large phase angles will reduce the true power drastically. I generally don't get that concerned about it for car audio amp testing. Obviously it's doing a fair amount of power at 1 ohm nominal for a single 12 to be knocking on a 146 in a big SUV.

I don't need an explanation. I've had plenty of classes covering AC power. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
The subsonic can't be turned off on this amp, or I would shut it off to show the difference. Every amp I have tested that you could shut it off gains a fair amount down in the 30 hz range with it shut off, thus the reason for my statement. Yes the phase angle plays a part too, but the subsonic plays as big or bigger part.
i missed this post somehow. probably when i was editing.

but anyways, im not trying to offend you or anything. in fact i wouldnt consider the power factor thing such a huge deal in a thread like this. i think it is a MUCH bigger deal in the "kicker vs ia vs orion" thread, where people tried to say the zx2500.1 was doing 1500+ watts real power with an impedance rise of 8.9 ohms //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif and everyone ate it up.

just giving people something to think about. i think this amps looks to be a **** good deal, and when i was looking at it on the AQ site last night, i think having such a small footprint will let even more people enjoy a power amp, that doesn't take up a **** ton of room in the car.

im sure other people (as well as i) appreciate you even taking the time to test and post info on this amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jeremiah25

10+ year member
Team Budweiser
Jeremiah25
Springfield, MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date