Best double din in 2017

man, when i was selling 12v stuff back in the early 2000's, the kenwood menus were so counterintuitive and just backwards feeling whereas the pioneers were the exact opposite. The kdc-x959 vs the pioneers or even the alpines of the day of the same level quality were a nightmare to set up. I cant remember the model numbers of the pioneer(maybe deh-p3600), but the alpine of that day on the same level was the (AWESOME) CDA-7998. That thing was a beast and easy to navigate the menus on
i had a deh-p350 back in the day and loved it!! It was part of the Premier line, still have no idea what the differences was between those and the normal ones, but i thought i remembered mentions of the DAC being better in the Premier ones
premiere line had that extended audio tuning menu after holding down the volume roller long enough, it could tune from 40hz to 6000hz

Oh, that was in a different menu altogether on the deh-p350. You had to go into the audio menu and hold something to get into those adjustments from there. I went from the eclipse 55430 to that premier deck. Talk about a downgrade lol the pioneer had it's perks, but not many over the eclipse. Still miss that deck

most of their new sh*t is beyond sub par if you actually used it. It may have the kenwood chipset for the audio tuning options but it does not have kenwood DACs. The sound is vastly inferior to an actual kenwood.
even back when they tried to go more upscale and did their "el kamelon" line, they werent very good then either

most of their new sh*t is beyond sub par if you actually used it. It may have the kenwood chipset for the audio tuning options but it does not have kenwood DACs. The sound is vastly inferior to an actual kenwood.
even back when they tried to go more upscale and did their "el kamelon" line, they werent very good then either

I think Pioneer AVHX5800BHS is best decent car double din headunit in 2017. Reasonable, best brand, quality features and more. Check this article for more details.
Ya, I have checked few other review like that. First, I read review from this site.. https://theeffectiveguide.com/best-double-din-head-unit/ . According to their top 5 list, Pioneer 3 model, 1 kenwood and other JVC. They also saying Pioneer 5800 good(according to their review). It has good review and rating on amazon too. Then, I have checked few other review site like that. After a little bit research, I have found that that model really good. Although, I wanted to see some people's personal opinion and thus i posted this. Now, I have decided to buy that model.

Last edited by a moderator:
The kenwood uses a superior DAC. The function is pretty much simplified on the kenwood. its not really less tuning power just more simplified. If i remember correctly.. It does do somewhat of a network mode as you can set the fronts to tweeter and rears to midrange though you might have to cross the midrange with a low pass filter.

If i could do it again. I'd get the high resolution kenwood unit and a cadence processor for a budget orientated setup.. another good option that's super cheap and would give you much more processing power over the no so great sounding pioneer are the mini DSPs

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/digital-signal-processors-dsp/minidsp-2x4-hd-usb-dac-and-digital-signal-processor/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmv7JBRDXkMWW4_Tf8ZoBEiQA11B2fqWX_Ggpq2AFydyhwTcpolkjkcgc5scxw07KP1lNTBEaAtTQ8P8HAQ

I think Pioneer AVHX5800BHS is best decent car double din headunit in 2017. Reasonable, best brand, quality features and more. Check this article for more details. https://carmusiclab.com/best-double-din-head-unit/
i agree. they are decent units. I just wished they sounded better. the sound shaping is awesome and does a great job enhancing soundstage but the EQ ***** and the overall tonality ***** IMO

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.