Big 3 and power cap?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Muzzy
10+ year member

Brum
I have just completed the alt to battery and batt neg to ground. I havent got around to doing the last as i cant find a place on the engine block. I still have dimming problems. My system is only 500 watt rms. Would a cap help out my alt response time? because on long base notes my lights dim and then return to full brightness. Any ideas?

cap wont help. what type car is it and did you do the big 3 in 1/0 gauge? as for the ground, you can do it off the alternator bracket.

I have a 2001 renault clio. Its only got a 70A alternator. I used 4 Gauge wire because i couldnt get 0 gauge at the time. And the alternator bracket is too hard to get too so need to find somewhere else?

just find a bolt on the engine somewhere. i have mine on my alt bracket and there was a bolt at the bottom of the engine as well that i grounded. i would try to get 1/0 gauge and see if that helps. also, how old is your battery? it may be time for a new one

Yes the battery is pretty old. Its low ampage aswell at only 36AH and 280 cold cranking. Would a higher ampage battery help my dimming. I havent got the money for an optima. So would i kill a normal battery with my system?

Big 3 it properly, and obtain a mediocre battery and you'll be more than set.

Many stock charging systems with big 3 can support 1kW rms no problems.

Ive done big 3 now and installed new 60 ah battery and im still getting slight dimming... anything else i can do?

its a 2001 renault clio 1.2 with 70A alt. i cant afford a new alt... this is stupid only for 500 watt rms! its just the response time of the alt coz its fine if its a long bass note. theres gta b another way?

Well I dont think you can get much bigger than the 60 AH battery since you only got a 70 amp alt. Dont understand why you would be dimming any though...unless you did the big 3 to a couple bad grounds and/or grounded the amp bad. Would make sense to me anyways...

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.