breaking in subs?

i have heard some people talk about breaking in subs, running less than full power to them in the first week or so...can anyone alaborate on this?
NO YOU'LL BLOW THEM UP!!!.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/scared.gif.f134e57c6c93ccd0f15aa5ac32c7d4a0.gif :scared:

J/k... hehe.. I think the general consensus is that is as much bs as the "underpowering them will blow them up"....

but I could be wrong... I imagine it wouldn't hurt to play them at less than full volume for a few minutes...

u are supposed to put ur amp at half power and the sub control on ur headunit at like if it is 0-15 put it at like 7 or 8 and then u can play them as loud as u want then.....keep it like that for about 24 hours of play or 2 weeks just to be safe then tunr them up little by little

There is no need to break in your subwoofer.

Plug them in and play them like you normally would. They will break in themselves over time with regular, normal use. No need to turn down the gains on your amp for the first [insert time period here]. Set the gain correctly once and then leave it alone. No need to keep the volume low for the first [insert time period here]. Just play them like you normally would.

lols....

Well when i bought my 2 memphis audio 12's, i completely disregarded the sheet of paper with big bold letters saying "WARNING: subs must go through a 'break in' process to reach their maximum output. Caution should be used during this period not to damage the subwoofer"

Well i set that paper ablaze, and cranked up the gain on my amp, HU, and played em loud and proud in their new sealed box (which i later found lout leaked like a bitch). Took em about 2 days like that to break in... they sounded like total **** the first 3 hours of playing. I was like, "what the hell is wrong with these things... oh well turn it up some more!" They still kick pretty hard to this day. I think some subs are more fragile than others and require a thorough break in period though.

no need to break in a sub. i never have, and have never had problems.

doest the IDmax require you to free air it for a certain amount of time or something though?

Well i set that paper ablaze, and cranked up the gain on my amp, HU, and played em loud and proud in their new sealed box (which i later found lout leaked like a bitch). Took em about 2 days like that to break in... they sounded like total **** the first 3 hours of playing. I was like, "what the hell is wrong with these things... oh well turn it up some more!"

Why would you ever do this?

Edit: Just set the gains correctly and play normally like it has been said.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.