Budget Build in 2000 Honda Insight

cocopuff

Recently purchased my 2000 Insight and want to upgrade the audio system. I just got an alpine 154 bt head unit (snagged it new at $120) so should be good on that front. Next I plan on getting Polk Audio db651 coaxials for the door. I'm currently looking for a four channel amp to run the coaxials and the 10" sub I'd like to get for the back. I'd like to get the four channel alpine that runs around $150 or something similar. Finally I have just enough space for an enclosed 10" sub in the back (there's a little cubby area). Any suggestions on sub or amp would be greatly appreciated as I have never had one in my other cars before. I'm not looking for earthshaking bass, just want some decent bump in my ride. Budget for amp, box, and sub is around 250. The rear cubby is approximately 12.5 inchesx12.5inchesx2 feet. Space is very tight in this car but on the plus side it has a tiny cabin so shouldn't take much to make her shake a tad.

Cables and misc isn't included in that price I figure that'll be around $50 so can just take that out of my next paycheck easily. As for boxes I was looking at Single 10" Sealed Car Subwoofer 3/4" MDF Enclosure/Box 0.77 Cu Ft $32 and gets good reviews I'd just go around the edges with some silicone to make sure it is sealed. Would I be able to run the sub off 2 channels bridged of one of those 4 channel amps leaving the other two for the speakers? No rear speakers in this car and I'm trying to keep the footprint down.

A 2 channel and a mono amp is what you should do. However I'd get those 4 channels I posted earlier because its the same price or under of what you'd pay for a 2 channel but you get a 4 channel instead. Also. Look at the optimal sealed volume for the gcon and make sure the box you want is the same size. Or maybe look into fiberglassing the sub into the cubbyhole.

I'll be running coaxials in the door so only need two channels for them. I think I can only draw 30A safely from the dc/cd converter so not sure what amps I can run on that. Read somewhere that alpine mrv f300 has a 30a fuse in it so that's why I wanted to use only it.

No alternator in this car the normal battery is charged from the hybrid battery through the dc/cd comverter. So I'm really limited on what I can run, apparently some people have put 10" in other insights and gotten good results but they didn't specify what amp they used. My only other option would be to run two 6.5 inch shallow mount subs in the rear bulkhead, but that seems even more pointless.

That's hard to answer. I say do some research. Find a forum with people who own hybrid cars or talk to a dealer. Maybe call up a car audio store and see what their opinion is. Tricky situation.

Find out what amp/subs hybrid owners use. On another note and this is just my opinion. If you don't listen to music with lower than 60hz bass lines. Then spend your money on sealing up your doors and getting good components speakers. Many people would argue but I really don't find a sub absolutely necessary.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.