Building a box - best way to seal edges

Participant count
  • Participant list

>>SQL<<
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
USA
Hello,

I built quite a few boxes back in the day with a circler saw and a jig saw but now I am looking to do a better job.

I am building a box for 2 JL Audio 10w3's

I now have a quality table saw.

After I assemble the box should I use white caulk along all the edges (like I used to) or fiberglass resin or something else?

Thanks for the help.

Fiberglass is messy, if it is a simple rectangular box why not use something else? I have had success with silicone sealant, such as this: GE Silicone II 2.8 oz. Window and Door Caulk Clear - GE500 3TG at The Home Depot

Although, if your cuts are not perfect, I believe fiberglass is a better choice, but if you have a table saw hopefully there are no gaps once it has been assembled with clamps, wood glue and screws.

i wouldnt bother with fiberglass unless you have a large box and need the extra rigidity. i personally just put in a line of liquid nails on the inside corners while im making the box. it may not be 100% necessary but its not a time consuming process and gaurantees your box is sealed up well from air leaks, which is something you really want to have when doing a low tuned setup (lots of air movement, easy to hear when theres a leak)

The best sealant is a solid bead of glue on all of your joints...there's really no need to seal the inside corners if you use glue where you should.
Yup. Lots of basic wood glue. If you want to get crazy you can use gorilla glue, but even that's over kill. I would then seal the whole thing from water damage by painting on more glue or paint the inside and out of all surfaces.

You're using MDF right? Throw out the plywood and use MDF.

If you want to get crafty, miter the edges at 45 degrees, so your edges fit together tighter. On a small box it's not worth it, but on a big box it makes the seams stronger. Then glue a strip a wood along the seam as a brace. This makes for very strong, long lasting edges and corners.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.