building a system for my c5 corvette.. some help would be awesome

ttt123

CarAudio.com Recruit
michigan
Hello everyone.. I'll try to not be long winded but i do have a lot of questions 😇 I'm an older guy who still likes to jam tunes loud and feel my eyeballs rattle with some good bass lol. I have always been into systems and i have quite a lot of stuff laying around (pics below)

first question.. should i keep my 15" sub box ported or non ported. i finished it last night and tested non ported and it thumps incredibly hard but i'm pretty sure i don't have the correct air volume to make it ported.. thoughts? oh and I'm planning using the skar amp over the sundown (pics below)

second question would be regarding the 8" boxes I'm making to fit in the two wells in the back of the hatch. is it even worth adding these 8" for loudness or just stick with the factory 6.5" i have a clarion 4way amp i was going to use for the component speakers.

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 5
a few more pics to better show what all I'm working with.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 5
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 6
Looks Great. If you want to do a ported enclosure with what you have.. May take a look at an Aero-Port. You still may have room to add it? I look into it. I myself wouldnt introduce the 8" in the rear corners. Id just do sub only and front components . A 3 way front stage would be ideal for sure. Thats me though. Looks great

second question would be regarding the 8" boxes I'm making to fit in the two wells in the back of the hatch. is it even worth adding these 8" for loudness or just stick with the factory 6.5
IMO this would depend on how clean the sub plays into the upper bass notes. Being sealed helps that but also, it being a 15 it may not blend well with the front stage. In that case, the 8s can pick up from 80 Hz to 600 Hz or less for extra punch and a smoother blend.

IMO this would depend on how clean the sub plays into the upper bass notes. Being sealed helps that but also, it being a 15 it may not blend well with the front stage. In that case, the 8s can pick up from 80 Hz to 600 Hz or less for extra punch and a smoother blend.

I was going to run them through a crossover if that makes a difference. all this gear is stuff I have laying around so I'm kind of just trying to find a use for it all lol

Looks Great. If you want to do a ported enclosure with what you have.. May take a look at an Aero-Port. You still may have room to add it? I look into it. I myself wouldnt introduce the 8" in the rear corners. Id just do sub only and front components . A 3 way front stage would be ideal for sure. Thats me though. Looks great

I see the aero port on amazon.. with out having the proper air volume dimensioned box .. would ported hurt me?

I have the JBL component speakers in my amazon cart 302, 502 and 602 to fill all the factory speakers with new. i could use the 8' in the doors as well.

any input is helpful guys.. i know how to hook all this stuff up but i'm clueless on how to make it all sounds good together and matching the best products.

I also have a set of Alpine type R's 10" sitting on the shelf as well.

put the box in the car last night. wanted to give it time to let the paint fumes dissipate so it didn't stink up the car.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
Looks good!

Bullet tweeters in a Vette, ears bleed much? Yikes!

I haven't put anything other then the sub yet. i just pulled everything out to start putting together the system. i'm open to all suggestions. I'm no guru on creating a system.

i do have in my amazon cart JBL 302, 305 and 306 series speakers for the factory component replacements. haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.. still trying to research.

What is the model of the Clarion amplifier that you have? I used to run and have a few of the APA series. Really clean amplifiers.
what do you have right now for speakers and cross-overs? Laying around? Size and model #s? I like to use what I have rather than spending more funds, unless its a preference of wanting something different or updating. Not a fan of the Bullet tweets in that car for sure or any type of loud speaker for some type of sound quality involved. I coulkdnt find the JBL model #s you mentioned specifically. What are the exact model #s are you looking at? Stage series or?

What is the model of the Clarion amplifier that you have? I used to run and have a few of the APA series. Really clean amplifiers.
what do you have right now for speakers and cross-overs? Laying around? Size and model #s? I like to use what I have rather than spending more funds, unless its a preference of wanting something different or updating. Not a fan of the Bullet tweets in that car for sure or any type of loud speaker for some type of sound quality involved. I coulkdnt find the JBL model #s you mentioned specifically. What are the exact model #s are you looking at? Stage series or?

it is a 4201 clarion.. i think. i looked it up the other day and it was basically 4x50rms per channel. then i decided to use the skar for the 15" it just movement that 15 so much better then the sundown did.

i have kicker, tweeters, alpine tweeters and another set but i don't remember the brand. those DS18's just happen to be in the picture but to be honest.. i didn't know those wouldn't sound good in the car so i wont use them.

the JBL's is this series. 3.5 & 6.5 in the front doors and 5.25 in the rear. from what i've read from other corvette owners.. they sound really good. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O8MNNT6/?tag=caraudiocom-20

please chime in with your take on it all. i'm happy to get any advice i can.

thanks

I haven’t picked one yet. It has a single din kenwood but i bought a double din console for the car so im on the hunt for a budget radio.
Id recommend a Kenwood/JVC HU on the budget side.. mainly JVC. They are owned by Kenwood now and the same model of Kenwood will be as the JVC and the JVC will be a bit cheaper, but same unit. I like Sonic Electronix to buy my HUs from or Crutchfield as they usually give free installation kits on most units, and have excellent customer service and reliability. Id look for a Min. of 2 sets of RCAs/3 would be a bonus of 4-5v, with Low Pass high Pass option, and the other options that you like or need. I wouldnt worry too much on a Time Alignment setting for that car, If the unit has it? Its would be a bonus. Find something thats within your budget, and needs. there are some really nice choices out there for under $300 bucks and Ive even been happy with some plain jane units less than $130 bucks believe it or not. I like simplicity. Touch screens drive me nuts. Finger prints on them constantly and wiping them down.UUgh! but nice. do you have Pods for the tweeters you have? Id use them if you can. Alpine make some nice tweets that sound very clean. are the kicker tweets soft dome or metal/alum/titanium? I( like my older KS25 tweets. Pick your Hu out and lets go from there..Im thiunking you are going to need more power on the amplifier side for keeping up with the 15 for front stage. Im thinking 125-200 rms be perfect.
You can always try an Aero-Port for the sub to see if you enjoy it more than sealed. if you do not , you can simply make a square plug to seal it back up without having to make a new enclosure, and can be removed to add the aero port back in again later if you want?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...