C2 Audio Threatcon 2 Review Thread

C2 Audio
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Woofers are all shipped out and a few people have already received them. This thread will strictly be for your reviews of the Threatcon 2 woofers. I would like to see as many videos as possible. Please post your videos and comments in this thread!

Don't forget the recommended break in period! We've found that running the woofers at 500 watts for 10 hours of play will make for a great woofer.

Thanks for all the support and lets see those videos!!!

---Chris

12" DVC 2 ohm Threatcon 2 on a American Bass VFL-Hybrid 4480.1 at 1 ohm turned down to run at 500 watts RMS for the subwoofers break in period. I realized that I had the volume at around half at the 1 minute mark and turned it up.

I recorded in HD so make sure that you choose that option when viewing!!

That video doesn't show anything other than your sub playing. I should hope your sub plays
Thanks for your keen observation! After it breaks in I will post another video of it running at 800-850 RMS. This was just to get what it does at 500 RMS up for people to see.

Until it's broken in...this is what I have for now.

The Spiders should have break in time to allow the woofer to move properly. This woofer does have two spiders and does take about 10 hours at 500 watts untill they are at optimal performance. Sure you can fire them up at 1500 watts out of the box.... but this is also how people heat and possibly damage the coil. The Coil will try to move the cone further than the spider will allow causing higher temp on the coil than if the woofer was able to freely move the entire distance it is designed to play in. I have personally tested the Threatcon-2 woofer in my own car out of the box and properly broken in. Once broken in it performs beyond peoples expectations so I am not sure why anyone would not break it in to get maximum performance. I don't care if this conversation is about woofers, cars or lawnmowers..... Any motor assembly should have a break in time before going full tilt. Some people prefer low power low frequency to stretch things out and that is fine too but all in all throwing every watt of power you can at it fresh out of the box will just shorten its life span. Everyone these days is in such a rush, slow down and break them in... the pay off is worth it. -Chris

The Spiders should have break in time to allow the woofer to move properly. This woofer does have two spiders and does take about 10 hours at 500 watts untill they are at optimal performance. Sure you can fire them up at 1500 watts out of the box.... but this is also how people heat and possibly damage the coil. The Coil will try to move the cone further than the spider will allow causing higher temp on the coil than if the woofer was able to freely move the entire distance it is designed to play in. I have personally tested the Threatcon-2 woofer in my own car out of the box and properly broken in. Once broken in it performs beyond peoples expectations so I am not sure why anyone would not break it in to get maximum performance. I don't care if this conversation is about woofers, cars or lawnmowers..... Any motor assembly should have a break in time before going full tilt. Some people prefer low power low frequency to stretch things out and that is fine too but all in all throwing every watt of power you can at it fresh out of the box will just shorten its life span. Everyone these days is in such a rush, slow down and break them in... the pay off is worth it. -Chris
I thought you said it didn't like 1200 watts before?

This is were I regret not having exact clamp numbers from all the prototype testing.... The woofer is designed to come out of the gap once it hits mechanical limits. The Dual spiders do hold the cone and coil in place so we have Not had any reason to add a top pole extension as the woofer stays alligned even when consecutively played out of the gap. It Pops when out of the gap hence making the consumer aware that it needs turned down as the mechanical limits have been surpassed. The woofer motor force and and 3" coil are over kill for this 600 watt RMS woofer. The real Watt ratting of were the mechanical limits are varies on enclosure, environment the sub is in and true unclipped power. We have tested this woofer in excess of 2000 watts in different enclosures in vehicles. The woofer would have been at mechanical limits sooner in a free air application. I have tested this woofer with stiffer spiders and yes it handled lots of power but efficiency dropped and nothing was gained except the need for a huge amp to equal the same spl numbers. Sooo.... now to the answer, yes I have had mechanical limits hit at 1200 in testing in certain applications, but please keep in mind 1200 is Double the RMS rating of the woofer. -Chris

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

C2 Audio

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
C2 Audio
Youngstown, OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date