C2 Audio Threatcon 2 Review Thread

@05fronty ;

Chris just posted this on the C2 Audio Facebook

f9im1h.jpg

The Spiders should have break in time to allow the woofer to move properly. This woofer does have two spiders and does take about 10 hours at 500 watts untill they are at optimal performance. Sure you can fire them up at 1500 watts out of the box.... but this is also how people heat and possibly damage the coil. The Coil will try to move the cone further than the spider will allow causing higher temp on the coil than if the woofer was able to freely move the entire distance it is designed to play in. I have personally tested the Threatcon-2 woofer in my own car out of the box and properly broken in. Once broken in it performs beyond peoples expectations so I am not sure why anyone would not break it in to get maximum performance. I don't care if this conversation is about woofers, cars or lawnmowers..... Any motor assembly should have a break in time before going full tilt. Some people prefer low power low frequency to stretch things out and that is fine too but all in all throwing every watt of power you can at it fresh out of the box will just shorten its life span. Everyone these days is in such a rush, slow down and break them in... the pay off is worth it. -Chris
I'm curious where this theory that giving a sub more power out of the box will damage the coil came from.. I've never heard of any damage being done other than a couple people who "claimed" to have torn spiders because of not breaking in the subs.

My XFLs are extremely stiff and rated for 1000w each, and I put my pair of them on full tilt on 2500w right out of the box with no issues. No torn spiders, no coil damage, etc.

I'm not saying that it's not slightly harder on the coils, I'm not really sure. But is it enough to warrant concern..? Probably not.

Yea break in is bull. Yea the subs sound better after a week but it won't cause damage to the sub. Competitors don't burp old "broken in subs" do they? No the use new or freshly reconed subs.

I've used dozens of subs without breakin and never once had a problem. Usually when people claim damage it due to clipping, poor box design, bottoming out of the sub, or rediculous overpowering.

Break in is absolutely real. If you meter resistance of a woofer out of the box, break it in and re meter the coil your resistance changes... The change is from the spider being looser. On a meter we have not seen any real differernce but Absolutley in sound and overall performance. Heat is the issue with running a woofer full tilt out of the box. Nomex Spiders do stretch and the woofer is designed around the spiders broken in. Coils have an adhesive that holds everything together. Heat the coil up by not allowing the spiders to stretch and the first thing that happens is the adhesive lets of gas which you can smell. When you start burning off adhesive you are loosing power handling and longevity of the sub. So once again by all means you can run them as hard as you want out of the box but if you properly break the sub in you will have better perfomance and from my experience it will give you more years of performance. --Chris

There's no need to start up the whole break in is real/fake argument I suppose... There isn't enough evidence to prove either side wrong.... Which in my opinion means that it doesn't matter and shouldn't be done, but do whatever you're more comfortable with

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

C2 Audio

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
C2 Audio
Youngstown, OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date