Calling all cars!!!

GRANDV
10+ year member

Problem- I got a Dodge Durango and upon starting it up, it will turn off if I don't keep me foot on the gas pedal. I have lights and radio play, but it will cut off if I release the gas.

Would anyone know what is causing this to happen? Starter, Alternator, or ?

Thanks for all and any replies.

Problem- I got a Dodge Durango and upon starting it up, it will turn off if I don't keep me foot on the gas pedal. I have lights and radio play, but it will cut off if I release the gas.
Would anyone know what is causing this to happen? Starter, Alternator, or ?

Thanks for all and any replies.
something with the choke.....its all computer controlled so i cant help you there

IDS....Idle controll sensor....That would be my first guess
I'd check that too...try starting the car and keep it running and have someone disconnect the plug to it. If it stays running when your foot is off the gas, replace the sensor and/or valve body...

Also check for vacuum leaks. If there's a leak between the airflow sensor and the throttle body, it may not be getting enough "signal" to know there's airflow, without the engine being "revved up".

Happened to my car.. had to replace the flex hose between the airflow sensor box and the throttle body. Wasn't the same model as yours, so yours could be different, but MANY different cars use this system...

Regards,

Gordon.

Also check for vacuum leaks. If there's a leak between the airflow sensor and the throttle body, it may not be getting enough "signal" to know there's airflow, without the engine being "revved up".
Happened to my car.. had to replace the flex hose between the airflow sensor box and the throttle body. Wasn't the same model as yours, so yours could be different, but MANY different cars use this system...

Regards,

Gordon.
x2. I'd get an engine trouble code reader on it. The MAFS or complementing sensors might be gone.

I dont know what year Durango you have, but on the 01-03's, if you turn the ingnition to the on position, then off, then on, then off and back on, the odometer reading screen will display codes. Write down anything it displays before P done displays, and this will tell you if the computer has reported a problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.