Carolina Reaper... Anyone Chili Heads Here?

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
About to get my first harvest.

13939301_1221278737914668_1567682616351735058_n.jpg

a lot off topic but you seem like someone who would know. What are some good marinades for steak?
Normally i'm a straight up salt and pepper kind of guy with full on steaks and top off with garlic butter and some lime focusing on the texture and umami of beef rather than dressing it up. If you can, use some Mediterranean or Puerto Rico sea salt, it makes a huge difference over table salt.

With flap meats or spare ribs and different pieces of beef i can do a carne asada or korean bulgolgi/kalbi marinade etc which works a lot better with the texture.

Normally i'm a straight up salt and pepper kind of guy with full on steaks and top off with garlic butter and some lime focusing on the texture and umami of beef rather than dressing it up. If you can, use some Mediterranean or Puerto Rico sea salt, it makes a huge difference over table salt.
With flap meats or spare ribs and different pieces of beef i can do a carne asada or korean bulgolgi/kalbi marinade etc which works a lot better with the texture.
So how do you cook your steak? just over a grill then add butter and lime during cooking or whats your process

Nope too hot, I draw the line at habanero. I've thought of buying seeds for **** and giggles though but couldn't think of a use for them.
Home made pepper spray, garden bug spray, salsa enhancer, skin exfoliant, also.... infinite amounts of trolling.

First thing imma do is mix some in with my buddy's aftershave.

Also know a few youtube big channels i want to send them so they make a vid on it.

So how do you cook your steak? just over a grill then add butter and lime during cooking or whats your process
Sear each side. When its almost done or getting dry, hit it with the garlic butter sauce. Then add lime at the very end. Im sure you can find a detailed steak vid on youtube.

You can also mix in some cayenne and old bay seasoning if you want some creole cajun flavor.

Best steak i ever had was cooked sous vide then seared on the grill with hickory wood. I needa buy one of those machines.

a lot off topic but you seem like someone who would know. What are some good marinades for steak?
If your steak needs anything more than salt (applied when you serve it) you have failed in selecting a proper cut of meat and you have failed as a man. I will allow wrapping a filet with bacon but that's as far as it goes.

About to get my first harvest.
13939301_1221278737914668_1567682616351735058_n.jpg
My biggest problem with those super-peppers is the flavor. I like a habanero, thai, or serrano which have their own distinct flavors which you can generally get into your food before it becomes inedible due to the heat. Even the ghost is just stupid hot and if it had any flavor, I couldn't tell. I can't think of any food that wants heat for the sake of heat without getting some style of pepper flavor in it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll try growing some if I can ever get a handle on growing peppers, but they're probably strictly for the novelty at this point.

]If your steak needs anything more than salt (applied when you serve it) you have failed in selecting a proper cut of meat and you have failed as a man. [/b] I will allow wrapping a filet with bacon but that's as far as it goes.

My biggest problem with those super-peppers is the flavor. I like a habanero' date=' thai, or serrano which have their own distinct flavors which you can generally get into your food before it becomes inedible due to the heat. Even the ghost is just stupid hot and if it had any flavor, I couldn't tell. I can't think of any food that wants heat for the sake of heat without getting some style of pepper flavor in it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll try growing some if I can ever get a handle on growing peppers, but they're probably strictly for the novelty at this point.[/quote']

Agreed.

yeah i've burned my taste buds off long ago trying some flash bang hot sauce which is twice as spicy as a carolina reaper. I can taste flavor from a bhut jolokia ghost pepper since its only as hot as a habenero to me now.

Here's a great steak marinade i use. 1Cup olive oil, 1cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup worcshire suace (or however you spell it), 1/2 cup chopped green onion, 6 cloves of garlic. Marinated overnight grill over high heat, mmmm good. Sometimes i boil the marinade and use it as a dippin sauce too.

I ate 5 dried ghost peppers on a dare from my buddy. It was painful as hell but bearable. Months later I went halfers on a dozen dried reapers with a friend, ended up chopping the smallest one up and putting it into some ramen noodles; that was the second time in my life I was in more pain than I could handle. (First was a dislocated elbow) reapers are on a totally different level than any other pepper. I gave the other 11 to my friend, dude is a head addict worse than me and he thought they were too hot as well.

Agreed.
yeah i've burned my taste buds off long ago trying some flash bang hot sauce which is twice as spicy as a carolina reaper. I can taste flavor from a bhut jolokia ghost pepper since its only as hot as a habenero to me now.
Going in I can handle about anything, it's coming out the next day that really gets me with peppers anymore.

Going in I can handle about anything, it's coming out the next day that really gets me with peppers anymore.
I bought some ghost pepper brats and got hammered, they tasted good at the time. But the next day I was crapping liquid lava for 4 hrs, and I still went back and bought more. I'm growing reapers for the first time this year,should make for some awesome and tasty hot pickles and salsa ftw

I bought some ghost pepper brats and got hammered, they tasted good at the time. But the next day I was crapping liquid lava for 4 hrs, and I still went back and bought more. I'm growing reapers for the first time this year,should make for some awesome and tasty hot pickles and salsa ftw
Good times. A friend of mine did something similar on a drunk here last winter absolutely drowning some sausage subs in ghost pepper sauce.... with him I think it came out of both ends sometime around 1am the same night. On the bright side, I think he was in a blackout so he probably doesn't remember how bad that ******.

If anybody saves some seeds this year, please mail me a handful so I can try my hand at growing some next year.

Good times. A friend of mine did something similar on a drunk here last winter absolutely drowning some sausage subs in ghost pepper sauce.... with him I think it came out of both ends sometime around 1am the same night. On the bright side, I think he was in a blackout so he probably doesn't remember how bad that ******.
If anybody saves some seeds this year, please mail me a handful so I can try my hand at growing some next year.
I might have some, I have 9 pods maturing to full size, one changing color and about a hundred flowers about to bloom. The **** loads of flowers is a good sign of a huge harvest I hope, I'll send you a couple peppers if you wanna get started after the winter. I got my seeds from ed currie, the mad genius himself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.