CCA vs 100% Copper

chawski
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys, quick wiring question...

Im installing a small subwoofer amplifier (kenwood kfc not sure entire model number). Installation manual says 8g wire is fine. I want to run a 4g to make the option of upgrading down the road should I decide to a little easier. Ive been shopping around for some amp install kits and have seen a number of cheaper Copper Clad Aluminum kits at around 1/2 the price of pure copper wiring.

I realize that pure copper is going to be the ideal material for a high power system, but for something small (400watt area, I want to say 40amp fuse) would cca do the trick or should I really just go for the pure copper wire? I dont mind spending the extra for cheap insurance, but just want to check if its anything Id ever notice. For comparison, I had previously ran 8g (not sure if cca or pure copper) on my old car for around 8 years with the same amp and never had any issues that I could tell.

In spite of what a lot of the brain dead sheep are going to try to tell you -- CCA is a PERFECTLY good conductor.

Be aware though that a lot of cheap brands will make wild power claims that are nowhere near realistic -- a lot like amps.

So, like amps, you can look at the fuse to determine what the wire is actually capable of handling.

If you want something close to 4 awg quality you should see at a minimum an 80A fuse. A good 4 awg equivalent cca kit should include a 100A mini/anl fuse.

Cca is fine for what you want if price is a problem but like he said ofc is better and better for your car. But cca will work fine with such low wattage also I would use 4ga or 0 anything smaller is a waste of money.

We use copper clad aluminum here at work and I have met the engineers that work at the factory where CCA is made and one thing that I do know is that CCA is 30% less conductive compared to solid copper. This was told to me directly from the mouth of the CCA engineers. Not sure if it will affect your system enough to notice but I personally would not use it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.