sub makes grinding noise, ONLY when wired up. POWER OFF

Participant count
  • Participant list

jokerboy111

i just got a new set of sundown sa-12's 600w rms dvc i believe they were 100% fine no noises (i thought), my budy had been using they for a bit before this about not a problem took them out of the box to invert them, because the box's airspace was quite a bit small (was tuned in box freq. was about 24 hz when it called for about 32, so pretty low) took them out to invert and had to shave out some of the wood around the hole and they still didn't want to fit without the surround hitting the hole so i flipped them back around , to inside the box. and wired down to 1 ohm (2 dvc)... took and ran it for about 1-2 mins and sounded weird... so i went back, with the power off, and only one sub is making a slight grinding noise when pushing on the cone, and i know it will make that noise if you dont push evenly which is not the case here, BUT if all the wires are disconnected, no wires at all touching it, it fine. no grinding at ALL but as soon as i hook up the amp ( which is actually turned completely off at this time) it starts to make a faint grinding sound. it actually seemed to get worse when hooked in with the other sub but the amp is pushing no power.i thought i may have got sawdust in it, but wasn't sure if that was enough to cause this, as there really isnt any visable sawdust left in the box. or if i wired it wrong or if the voice coil is just plain going bad, would appreciate the help

also the i amp that(has been used with these since day 1) soundstream 2000w@1ohm mono class D i DID NOT set the gain properly with a multi meter but it was around 3/4 gain (little less actually) and 80 hz low pass and it laughed at it all day, i dont understand didnt think it would blow em, the girl at sundown said that they run these in comps, and they put whatever they want to them. but maybe the small box made them get hot fast? idk..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.