Correct wiring for my setup?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jamesd715

So I have 2 kicker comp r 12" subs and each has dual 4 ohm voice coils wired in series. My amp is a pioneer gm-7200m. in the manual it says rms output at 4 ohms is 250w and at 2 ohms it is 360w. Each sub has an rms rating of 500 and a max of 1000. So by my interpritation (btw im pretty new to the whole subwoofer wiring scene) i am pushing 180w to a each 500w subwoofer. i just want to know if this is correct. i have the bass boost turned to 6, the gain maxed, and the lpf set to where i feel i get the best audio from my subs. The main reason i'm asking about this is to determine if i should get a higher output amp so i can get the most out of my subs. I'm looking for any input on my setup in general, if you think there is something i can do better please let me know. Thanks in advance.

So I have 2 kicker comp r 12" subs and each has dual 4 ohm voice coils wired in series. My amp is a pioneer gm-7200m. in the manual it says rms output at 4 ohms is 250w and at 2 ohms it is 360w. Each sub has an rms rating of 500 and a max of 1000. So by my interpritation (btw im pretty new to the whole subwoofer wiring scene) i am pushing 180w to a each 500w subwoofer. i just want to know if this is correct. i have the bass boost turned to 6, the gain maxed, and the lpf set to where i feel i get the best audio from my subs. The main reason i'm asking about this is to determine if i should get a higher output amp so i can get the most out of my subs. I'm looking for any input on my setup in general, if you think there is something i can do better please let me know. Thanks in advance.
You have dual voice coils, the only proper wiring configuration you can do is series/parallel which is 4 ohms and parallel which is 1 ohm. you are likely at 4 ohms only unless you wired it wrong.

Thats a super dirty signal if you have bass boost up and gain maxed. You'll cause longterm damage to the subs like that. Get a 1000 rms at 1 ohm stable amp and wire it to 1 ohm. Never ever use boost always have more power than you need so you dont ever have to force the amp into overdrive producing mass amounts of dirty power.

Also learn how to properly set your gains. Also depending on your head unit, you need to know how to set things properly on the head unit as well.

You have dual voice coils, the only proper wiring configuration you can do is series/parallel which is 4 ohms and parallel which is 1 ohm. you are likely at 4 ohms only unless you wired it wrong.
Thats a super dirty signal if you have bass boost up and gain maxed. You'll cause longterm damage to the subs like that. Get a 1000 rms at 1 ohm stable amp and wire it to 1 ohm. Never ever use boost always have more power than you need so you dont ever have to force the amp into overdrive producing mass amounts of dirty power.

Also learn how to properly set your gains. Also depending on your head unit, you need to know how to set things properly on the head unit as well.
Alright, so i'm on a really tight budget so i'm looking at dirt cheap amps and I found this one. BOSS Audio R2400D Riot.

or should i spend a little more and get one like this?

Sound Storm EVO5000.1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.