DD haters

I troll facebook alot because it works out to sea pretty good. I see so much hate on DD even when the one defending the brand always shows proof how DD is winning everything world wide even this year. I'm not one to say DD is the best there is but its been VERY good to me. I cant think of anyone that builds subs like DD does so they are going to cost more. I would say Sundown is a runner up but I have never seen a sundown woofer so versitle, maybe the older Zs? It seems now Jacob is designing for that niche market. When it comes to amps nobody is making that kind of power in that small footprint on 12v. DD may not be for you or your wallet but why hate or deny when the proof is everywhere for so many years?
It's not about the product, it's about the staff.

DD makes amazing amps and I will give them that. The only reason they win all these records is because of the DD Z series. I don't think a company should be praised because of only 1 subwoofer that is winning everything. Also for a company that doesn't "advertise" they certainly have way inflated prices. Honestly their woofers just aren't my style and I will never personally run one.

The people at DD are very arrogant and rude from my dealing with them. I had a DD sub go bad and they gave me hell for not having a DD dealer install it, they claimed over and over that DD subs just don't go bad by themselves and I surely had to have installed it wrong.

In short they refused to help me in anyway and tried to sell me a new sub at just under retail price. I never bought another DD product since and will never again.

DD does make 'some' fine products - but if you think they can do no wrong, pass me that bong:

Much of that guy's complaints were a bit of a stretch. I've never heard of a DD sub failing from bad glue job, so that's a dead argument IMO. Next a choice of lighter weight cone and dustcap means nothing, I certainly doubt the softparts are going to shred under rated power and clearly in the video survived 3WK burp. The stamped frame is pretty cheezy but probably adequate for what it is (ever heard of one breaking?).

Clearly the guy who made that video has an agenda.... but at the same time, you'd have to be on the pipe to pay 350$ for that sub.

DD makes amazing amps and I will give them that.
I assure you, DD doesn't make amps. Whatever it is they're using could be bought by anybody from the same factory in Korea. They choose good boards, as far as those Eastern amps go, but they don't design, or manufacture an amp.

I assure you, DD doesn't make amps. Whatever it is they're using could be bought by anybody from the same factory in Korea. They choose good boards, as far as those Eastern amps go, but they don't design, or manufacture an amp.
I did not know that thanks for the info.

I did not know that thanks for the info.
There are very few companies that actually have R&D department designing their own amps. I'd say apart from the mainstream and elite brands just about everybody else just buys from the same 2 or 3 buildhouses in the far east.

There are very few companies that actually have R&D department designing their own amps. I'd say apart from the mainstream and elite brands just about everybody else just buys from the same 2 or 3 buildhouses in the far east.
Welcome to capitalism I guess.

The jist of the video was price versus the quality of what you are getting:

-Bad QC (on this particular woofer) - if you pay attention, he made no mention of potential glue failure - just that it was a sloppy job for a company that prides themselves on having hand-built woofers. (A little side-note, good friend of mine worked for DD last year, and at that time, according to him - the longest experienced woofer builder they had was around 6 months).

-Cheap basket - no, I can't say I've seen one break, but do you believe that savings in cost is reflected in the price of this woofer?

-Lightweight dustcap and cone I applaud - but not flimsy. It's one thing to be able to withstand a 3kw burp (and not shred, as you mentioned). But resisting cone deformation is something these softparts will NOT be good at (which will directly impact SQ), not to mention the extremely limited suspension on an otherwise 'beefed' up woofer... some poor design decisions here + poorly executed craftsmanship = underwhelming woofer...

I'm really not prepared at the moment to go into the gimmicky neo-slug (SuperCharge add-on) they offer on top of the ferrite motor, but I think it speaks volumes that if it were such a great idea - why isn't every other woofer manufacturer offering something similar?

In the end - sounds like we both agree on at least one point - neither of us would pay $350 for that particular woofer...

Much of that guy's complaints were a bit of a stretch. I've never heard of a DD sub failing from bad glue job, so that's a dead argument IMO. Next a choice of lighter weight cone and dustcap means nothing, I certainly doubt the softparts are going to shred under rated power and clearly in the video survived 3WK burp. The stamped frame is pretty cheezy but probably adequate for what it is (ever heard of one breaking?).
Clearly the guy who made that video has an agenda.... but at the same time, you'd have to be on the pipe to pay 350$ for that sub.

The jist of the video was price versus the quality of what you are getting:
-Bad QC (on this particular woofer) - if you pay attention, he made no mention of potential glue failure - just that it was a sloppy job for a company that prides themselves on having hand-built woofers. (A little side-note, good friend of mine worked for DD last year, and at that time, according to him - the longest experienced woofer builder they had was around 6 months).

-Cheap basket - no, I can't say I've seen one break, but do you believe that savings in cost is reflected in the price of this woofer?

-Lightweight dustcap and cone I applaud - but not flimsy. It's one thing to be able to withstand a 3kw burp (and not shred, as you mentioned). But resisting cone deformation is something these softparts will NOT be good at (which will directly impact SQ), not to mention the extremely limited suspension on an otherwise 'beefed' up woofer... some poor design decisions here + poorly executed craftsmanship = underwhelming woofer...

I'm really not prepared at the moment to go into the gimmicky neo-slug (SuperCharge add-on) they offer on top of the ferrite motor, but I think it speaks volumes that if it were such a great idea - why isn't every other woofer manufacturer offering something similar?

In the end - sounds like we both agree on at least one point - neither of us would pay $350 for that particular woofer...
Well it's certainly a testament to the douchebaggery of the company if they can't keep an employee more than 6 months. That being said, I'm quite confident that after about two 40 hour weeks just about anybody could assemble a woofer that won't fail. So long as they don't break I don't care how glue looks on the triple joint. I've seen uglier from most companies that build by hand.

I'd say that for a 600-700W woofer it's built up to the task. If you want a more rigid cone you can opt for CF (though I doubt it much matters in this application), and if you need more excursion this isn't the right platform plain and simple. The guy in the video said he reached x-max at 750W so that's about right.

I also question the effectiveness of the "supercharge" option until someone proves otherwise.

Worth 350$..... about as much as a W7 is worth 850$ but you're paying for the privilege of being able to act like an elitist snob to other people on internet forums. MSRP on DD stuff is typically a little over double what comparable product would cost from any other company.

I don't have experience with DD so i can't speak to their service. I'm just now getting back into the swing of car audio as i've been out of it for about 5 years. I was a hardcore US Amps supporter back when they still built everything in Florida, the last system i had was Re Audio 15's with the md amps strapped on all 4 which is the system that my avatar is of. Before that i ran my favorite amp of all time the Usa 400X from them on some Kove Armageddons. I have a personal friend of mine now that i just found out works at DD now so i will definitely be studying their stuff to see what it's all about but i can say for sure that i'm liking what i see on their amps. Any direction from some long time car audio old school guys that actually know what they're talking about is very welcomed. Just trying to re-educate myself on what is the truly elite equipment today instead of what the word on the street is that is usually fairly misguided in my experience. I always chuckled when a guy would try to compare my 400X to amps that cost 300 dollars and had a sticker saying their claimed to be 2000 watts. That was in my circle of friends known as the WLS rating. "When lightening strikes" the power input it would do 2000 watts for 1/2 a second.....

Well it's certainly a testament to the douchebaggery of the company if they can't keep an employee more than 6 months. That being said, I'm quite confident that after about two 40 hour weeks just about anybody could assemble a woofer that won't fail. So long as they don't break I don't care how glue looks on the triple joint. I've seen uglier from most companies that build by hand.
I'd say that for a 600-700W woofer it's built up to the task. If you want a more rigid cone you can opt for CF (though I doubt it much matters in this application), and if you need more excursion this isn't the right platform plain and simple. The guy in the video said he reached x-max at 750W so that's about right.

I also question the effectiveness of the "supercharge" option until someone proves otherwise.

Worth 350$..... about as much as a W7 is worth 850$ but you're paying for the privilege of being able to act like an elitist snob to other people on internet forums. MSRP on DD stuff is typically a little over double what comparable product would cost from any other company.
Staff turnover for assembly line work is always high regardless of what it is you are into. The work is tedious and gets real boring real quick, so this doesn't surprise me much at all. It is difficult to keep staff amused and in tune with what they are doing. If they are bored with doing what they do, that's when mistakes begin to happen. So even if a person has x hours of experience in assembly, defects still arise, and the best QC processes cannot catch every one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LosIsATool

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
LosIsATool
Pensacola, Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date