Different style box build for my buddy

01 S 10
10+ year member

LOUD
I'm "helping" my buddy with his box, even tho we are using most of my tools and my garage and electricity but o well. He's got a ~96 Buick Century that is literally falling apart from the system AND accidents... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

He doesn't listen to me when he buys his equipment, so he bought a SPL 5500D amp, that supposedly puts out 3200rms @ 1 (4 awg power/ground) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif and he bought two SPL SPLW15"s that are.. well... they dont sound that good.

Here is a pic of his last box that i built, 5.0cf tuned to 30hz, was originally for his Type R 12"s (which were loud as **** in it, he should of kept them)... its kinda small for the 15"s

HPIM0523.jpg

and here are some of the build were doing now, it will be right around 10 cubes ported probably using 4 4" PVC ports. The subs will be firing into the cabin. apparently he doesnt want the back seat at all anymore, but i have other ideas, pics will follow when that happens...

This box will be built in two parts to fit better in the trunk, they will be siliconed and bolted together when he puts both boxes in the trunk. only leaving about 2 - 3" of MDF on the inside for the bolts/silicone to connect the boxes.

back half of new box:

HPIM0538.jpg

HPIM0539.jpg

pic of empty trunk (with my sexy truck to the left //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif )

HPIM0540.jpg

plexi for the back part of box

HPIM0542.jpg

HPIM0543.jpg

HPIM0544.jpg

HPIM0545.jpg

HPIM0546.jpg

HPIM0547.jpg

this is the cut through that will go into the front half of box:

HPIM0548.jpg

HPIM0549.jpg

painted with something similar to Killz to prime and seal:

HPIM0550.jpg

HPIM0551.jpg

HPIM0552.jpg

the plexi will be bolted on the inside of the MDF with probably neons or some sh!t in it... it originally came from a sh!tty band-pass box that he had.

rough cuts for now, i tried to sand them down after he made it look like a wave with the jig saw... but its his not mine, i would have to make mine almost perfect. it should come out well though.

let me know what you think / or suggestions, i have only built a hand full of boxes myself, this is his second or third box, so we are not pro's

I think his exhaust is pointing the wrong direction
yeah... this car sounds like hell coming down the road, straight pipe with only a cherry bomb (basically a straight pipe) all the way to the back. loud as hell.

this is a guy coming from imports that thinks crooked exhaust tips are teh coolness.

little more work done tonight...

mounted the plexi loctite'd and siliconed

HPIM0571.jpg

trying out some light, just a basic red neon, might change the color later...

HPIM0578.jpg

test fitting the front box.. still need to mount the braces and cut through to the back box

HPIM0581.jpg

HPIM0584.jpg

port material... 4" (x4)

HPIM0575.jpg

9.75 cubes before port displacement is figured out.

Seems like kind of a waste to lose your backseats in a "luxury" car for only 10 cubes.... and he wont even have a trunk anymore..... if I was going that far, I would have spent an extra couple hundred and bought some quality equipment to atleast make it worth while to lose all that space

build quality looks nice though, good job on that

well, when the SPL's sound like sh!t, i'll convince him to buy something better, after all this work in this box... it will NOT go to waste. I have ideas for the backseat, it should come out pretty well. Got a little more done tonight, heres some pics:

HPIM0586.jpg

HPIM0587.jpg

HPIM0589.jpg

here is one of the SPL's:

HPIM0590.jpg

HPIM0594.jpg

HPIM0595.jpg

HPIM0598.jpg

HPIM0600.jpg

HPIM0602.jpg

HPIM0599.jpg

Once the box is done, i want to make a trim panel that covers the front of the box and goes all the way across the back of the car like the original seat... and maybe put padding on the panel and cover it like a seat. but it will have two subs cut out in the middle.. kinda make it look stock but with the sub cut outs. we will probably use the stock rear deck cover for the upper part.

one question.. does anyone have any advise for port placement? I'm wanting to put all four 4" ports firing straight up through the back dash towards the back window (through the stock 6x9 holes already there. will this sound OK?

mostly finished with the box now.. just need to let the loc-tite and silicone dry for the night, and install the amp tomorrow and tune...

heres some pics:

HPIM0609.jpg

HPIM0610.jpg

HPIM0613.jpg

HPIM0618.jpg

HPIM0622.jpg

Box lit up with red and blue neons before the subs were installed:

HPIM0624.jpg

pics of the ports coming up through the back dash... a lot brighter than i anticipated:

HPIM0625.jpg

HPIM0627.jpg

HPIM0628.jpg

whats so bad bout SPL subs? They get loud at least...especially that llne.

Great build very nice

I wouldn't leave it un-carpeted though if you were planning on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.