Do class D amps drop ohms like bridging a 2 channel?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Deon1818

MN
My title pretty much sums it up. I'm wondering if my class d mono amplifier will lower the ohms the same way bridging does. My understanding is that, let's say you bridged a 4 ohm subwoofer, you then would be running that subwoofer at 2 ohms. Correct? So does that rule apply for class d mono amps as well? I currently have two dual voice coil 2 ohm subs and they are wired in series up to 4 ohms and running on my mono amp. I want to wire them parallel for a 1 ohm load but if the ohms are dropped again at the amp I do not want to burn up my amp by running it at .5 ohms. Help me out

Either i'm confused or you are. Whatever the ohm you wire to at the speakers, the amp will play at that ohm load. The amp itself does not affect the ohm load. And two D2 subs will not wire up to a total of 4ohm. If anything, they are wired up to 4ohm each and you are running 2ch. of amplification

My title pretty much sums it up. I'm wondering if my class d mono amplifier will lower the ohms the same way bridging does. My understanding is that, let's say you bridged a 4 ohm subwoofer, you then would be running that subwoofer at 2 ohms. Correct? So does that rule apply for class d mono amps as well? I currently have two dual voice coil 2 ohm subs and they are wired in series up to 4 ohms and running on my mono amp. I want to wire them parallel for a 1 ohm load but if the ohms are dropped again at the amp I do not want to burn up my amp by running it at .5 ohms. Help me out
What you are talking about is when you have a two channel amplifier and you use the bridged output of that amplifier to power a 4 ohm sub, each channel of that 2-channel amplifier sees a 2 ohm load. When it comes to mono amps, you have a single channel. If the sub is 4 ohms, that's what that amp sees. So if you put four 4 ohm coils in parallel to attain a 1 ohm load and hook that up to a mono amp, it will see a 1 ohm load. I think you are getting confused with the concept of "bridging". Bridging is what happens when you use two channels to drive a single load. You cannot "bridge" subs, series and parallel wiring are just different ways of wiring subs to attain a final load to present to the amp

E

Okay so despite my lack of knowledge, I will present to you my configuration. I have two 2 ohm type R's and right now they are each wired I'm series. Meaning they each have a 4 ohm load right? Now I have a 1 ohm stable amp. And you are right, the part I was wondering about is the bridging. I want to wire the subs parallel so they each have a 1 ohm load. Will my brx2400.1D have any trouble with that?

I mean I know you can't bridge subs I meant bridging them on the amp. So mono amps are totally different? They just run whatever the subs are wired to? I just thought I would make sure before risking to low of ohms for my amp

Okay so despite my lack of knowledge, I will present to you my configuration. I have two 2 ohm type R's and right now they are each wired I'm series. Meaning they each have a 4 ohm load right? Now I have a 1 ohm stable amp. And you are right, the part I was wondering about is the bridging. I want to wire the subs parallel so they each have a 1 ohm load. Will my brx2400.1D have any trouble with that?
You amp will not like that because you are taking four 2 ohm coils and wiring them in parallel, that nets you a 1/2 ohm load. The way you are currently wired is presenting the amp with a 2 ohm load. You have a sub wired in series which is a 4 ohm load, the the two subs in parallel which is a 2 ohm final load, which is what you amp is seeing right now.

I mean I know you can't bridge subs I meant bridging them on the amp. So mono amps are totally different? They just run whatever the subs are wired to? I just thought I would make sure before risking to low of ohms for my amp
Just to clarify, if you have a single monoblock amp, the term "bridging" is out of the picture, it's not something that's possible with only a single channel.

So it is only because there are 2 subs running together, that somehow cuts the ohms? I understand now bridging is not applicable thank you

Also in the near future I want to run one re audio xxx 12" so should I buy a 2 ohm or 4? I want the lowest ohms with that amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.