Downward Facing Sub Configuration - Bad for amps underneath?

Participant count
  • Participant list

anger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wassup people,

I rebuilt my box to drive my subs downward, hoping for some sq improvement. Im wondering if having my amps directly under the subs is a bad idea. There's limited space in my truck, so the only other option is to mount them on top of the box.

Anybody foresee this causing problems?

Thanks in advance!

Personally I dont think its a great idea. Constant vibration like that is terrible for amps regardless of what some people might tell you. I really dont like seeing amps mounted on enclosures either but have done it when absolutely necessary.

Was hoping to hear that it would make no difference...I figured amps were built to withstand extreme vibration. Glad I asked, will rethink my plan. Thanks.

^^^ agreed. I recall a while back a "popular car audio shop" installed two 15" subs in the back of a friend's Z28 Camaro and mounted a Punch 150HD amp inside the box. That wasn't the brightest idea even though the system was loud as hell.

Are you just running sealed right now facing into the cab? I'd probably Build a floor for them to load off of, mount your enclosure with the subs facing down, then if you have no other space available, mount the amps to the top of the enclosure using rubber vibration dampening washers - This is not ideal either, but would be a LOT less vibration this way then directly under your subs... I can pretty much guarantee your shyt will sound better in the cab with the subs sealed and facing down, plus it would be better to load off of the floor than your amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.