dumb question about headers/exhaust

traksta15
10+ year member

I love lamp.
I have an 03 silverado ex cab with the 5.3 in it. Im thinking about adding long tube headers to it, but my only worries are:

1. Will it hurt my mileage (assuming I don't change my driving habits)

2. How much louder will it make my truck sound? I like a quiet ride and don't really like a loud rumble, I just want better mileage and maybe a few more ponies for when I get on it (rarely, but it does happen.)

Exhaust will add a little rumble, but headers will make it pretty loud. If you add intake and proper tune, you will get more power, and typically a little better mileage with same driving habits. With that being said, anytime you mod, the driving habits usually change

Since you'd be freeing up from restrictive manifolds, yes it should improve exhaust release therefore more HP and a little bit louder. Look into ceramic coated ones and personaly I'd go with shorty headers. I ran long tubes on my 5.0 and 5.7 and they don't quite have the low-end like shorty style headers. Also I'd probably run a 2.5" pipe at most if you do long tubes, that way you still retain some backpressure.

Not to mention if you want true duals it will be a little bit more costly to do since you have a saddle gas tank in there. At least I think you do.

With long tubes you'll have to do a full custom exhaust... won't necessarily be loud, that depends on the mufflers you use. I suppose you can tie it back into the stock exhaust but that would be a waste of money IMO.

If you simply want performance I would just get a programmer first (best performance increase per/$) and then an intake and exhaust later if you want more.

Do you know by chance how many O2 sensors are on it? Sometimes with newer ones it may throw a code and would probably be logical to throw the truck on a OBDII computer to re-adjust some things.

Motervation computer chips are really good. That's what I would do instead of a plug-in and play type deal.

Motervation actually sets the chips for the computer to truthfuly realize the performance mods. IE; cams, headers, intake, ignition, etc..

Do all your 'bolt on' performance mods then chip it.

That's if you want any more. Lol. I was pretty content with just intake and headers back on my 5.7l

Since you'd be freeing up from restrictive manifolds, yes it should improve exhaust release therefore more HP and a little bit louder. Look into ceramic coated ones and personaly I'd go with shorty headers. I ran long tubes on my 5.0 and 5.7 and they don't quite have the low-end like shorty style headers. Also I'd probably run a 2.5" pipe at most if you do long tubes, that way you still retain some backpressure.
That is actually opposite of how is usually happens. Long tube headers tend to give you much better long end grunt while shorties are just more convenient on newer vehicles because of the restricted engine bay space. You sacrifice a bit of performance with shorties but will be much easier to install.

im on fullsizechevy.com and from what i've read, longtube headers are better, If I got longtube headers, would it be possible to have a dual in/single out muffler? (to save on noise) Or do I have to go with a true dual exhaust setup?

so it'll go something like this:

longtube headers--->to dual in/single out muffler---> dumped

Do I need anything to convert the headers to run into 1 muffler? Or will they connect right up? Sorry for all the dumb questions, im an exhaust newb

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.