Electrical Problems Galore in a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi

veedeezys

The Myth, The Legend
Ok, had this system professionaly installed. When I was riding around I would have electrical problems in there I have 2 memphis 10's, powered by a diamond 1100 watt rms @ 1ohm amp, memphis door speakers powered by another amp rated at 60wattsX4, a 1 farad cap, and a nice kenwood touchscreen headunit.

Sometimes my stereo would just shut off. If it was real bad my entire truck would power down abruptly and shut off but would restart after sitting for a minute. When that happened I took my truck back to the shop and the guy said I needed a stinger battery and a 12 farad capacitor. I put in the stinger battery and once it adjusted it would run my stuff ok and then I just had the same problems again, the radio shutting off etc. Then I went to leave my house my truck was warmed up I had the bass just begining of midway strength and my whole truck shut off this time major problems as my mechanic tells me my PCU and all this other electrical stuff is zapped in my Dodge Ram and is basicly ruined the guy said practicly every fuse is broken in the fuse box and I need a wiring professional and estimates at a minimum $700 for a PCU to fix it. I know that the draw of the sound system caused this to happen but the shop who professionaly installed it is claiming its not there fault that this happened because it is not past the main inline fuse that they installed. I'm basicly up ****'s crick without a paddle here and they are trying to hang me out to dry. The bass amp I have is huge but I asked the guy before he put it in if I would have to modify my truck's electrical system to put it in i.e. performance alternator and batterys and he said, no. And now this happens and they don't want to do anything about it and I know it is the pull of power that the amp required that caused the problem of everything burning out. Should they be at fault for this? I am actually thinking about suing them since my truck is about 25 grand the system costs about 8 grand and the install cost 2 grand and I'm looking at about a $1500 mechanic bill for the parts and labor that the electrical problems in my truck will cost...

So when I get a hold of the guy at the shop and I tell him all this he says it isn't his fault but is probably just the alternator. So I thought I needed a stronger alternator and ordered a 220 amp output fitzall alternator from powerbastards.com. Do I need 2 batteries? Will that help? How do I fix the problem so this doesn't happen again to my electrical system? Should the install shop be at fault? Thanks.

need to see some pics of the install. there's no way that a properly installed stereo caused all that problem. i have a way bigger stereo then what you have and have installed bigger stereo's and never had a problem like that.

Yea man, lights were dimming I think like you said the alternator was taxed under all that power consumption and just fried everything somehow. Will a performance alternator fix this? How about a 12 farad cap do I need it or is it over kill? One battery or two?

Yea more like $650 for the install I included the price of the subs, and headunit in that. Looks like two batteries then. How much do those stinger 1500d batts go for? I got mine for real cheap. I have two tens now but really want like one 15" sub in a fiberglass enclosure just behind the center console. Any advice on how to make such an enclosure? And what is everybodys favorite big subwoofer like 15" plus?

Also, the 5.7l hemi comes with a 160amp alternator. I've ran roughly 2kw on it with just minor dimming issues(voltage dropping down to battery level and staying there, roughly 12.5V). I would have just gotten another stock alt if I were you. More reliability, and probably better amperage at idle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.