Enclosure help for SA x-12 d4 in a Scion XB (08)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Frank H

San Diego
Vehicle :08 Scion XB

Location in the vehicle: In trunk

Space available (Length x Width x Height): Option 1: 15.5 inches wide. 26" deep. Option 2: 24 inches wide, 26 " deep. 26 inches deep on bottom of trunk but only 18 or so on top because of the slanted seats. I have tons of room for height up to the roof of the car (its like a hatchback or small SUV) but would like to keep it 20 inches or under to stay at seat height.

Subwoofer make and model: Sundown Audio x12 D4 (wiring in series for 2 ohm load at the amp)

Subwoofer Size: 12

Number of Subwoofers: 1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot but not 100% sure

What type of music do you like?: I like hip hop, reggae and some rock

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday music

Tuning Freq (Hz): SA website recommends 32hz

Volume : SA website recommends 2.5ft^2

Amps : Alpine M1005 (1000w RMS class D) and Alpine 150x4

Questions:

Would having a slant in the box change the tuning of the port much? The port would be longer on the bottom of the box and shorter on top but average out to be the recommended length from the manufacture. (please see attached picture of my quick drawing)

Would having the woofer face sideways be a bad idea?

recommended enclosure is 20x20x15.5 with 40sq inch port

Option 1:

I would rather do option 1 if it didnt hurt sound much. Reason is because my rear seat is a 60/40 split. This option would have the woofer facing sideways and the port along the back of the trunk. (see pic) The end of the slotted port inside the box would be against a slanted wall so the bottom of the port would be 8 inches longer than the top.

This option would save me some trunk floor space but not sure about the port being slanted like that.

Option 2:

the woofer would face back to the rear of the trunk. I havent worked out the dimensions of this option yet but I think the woofer would be rather close to the back of the trunk with the port facing in the same direction. The port in this option would also suffer from being slanted (longer on bottom than on top)

I do believe this configuration would sound better at the cost of lost space, and would rattle the heck out of my car!

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. My main goal is to have loud bass without taking up the whole trunk. Gotta leave room for my work belt, hardhat, boots and other work stuff. I also have 3 boys and they have things... lots of things.

im hoping someone chimes in here..

im curious as if the tuning needs additional attention here, as the port is angled, then goes vertical after the turn. seems like the vertical portion might have to be a tad larger to compensate for the angled portion volume??

i also considered building the same as op, but have the angle conform the the back on my rear seats.. but the port calc made me decide not to bother with it

I have built a slanted box with a 20something inch port before. In stead of a slot all the way to the top, I opted to have the port only half way up, but double wide. It went straight to the back (slanted) and back to the front and half way to the back again. It was an Alpine TypeX and it mashed! I'll be receiving my woofer by Thursday and probably building this weekend. Installed a new Kenwood HU today (DDX492). Things are looking up.

I have built a slanted box with a 20something inch port before. In stead of a slot all the way to the top, I opted to have the port only half way up, but double wide. It went straight to the back (slanted) and back to the front and half way to the back again. It was an Alpine TypeX and it mashed! I'll be receiving my woofer by Thursday and probably building this weekend. Installed a new Kenwood HU today (DDX492). Things are looking up.
I did one with a slot for 2 Sundown X10's a few months back. It was a biotch, but it worked out. I would say use an aero or octo port to make it easier.

I would so have you build my box for me, CSCStang, but I get so much satisfaction from building myself. It's that and only that, has nothing to do with cost.

I would fire backwards or more vertical. Get that bass bouncing off the back glass. Shouldnt matter too much about the slot port with the angle as long as your not trying to put a slant on the port itself. You could also put another wall at teh end of the port to square it out.

So I received the woofer today. **** its huge! My 'option 1' is not going to work, the woofer would be sitting against the port and have no room to breath. Back to the drawing board.

Backwards/ vertical? Diagonal up towards the window? This is why I love building. So many options - fun to get creative.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.