Engine noise need confirmation

muss

Hi Guys

I run a setup in my car consisting of all fusion gear, two subs two amps rears and front components all coming off a pioneer HU (cant remember model but it is a 2009-10 rear usb 3 rca one) now i had this all running like a dream for weeks but the rears were coming off the hu instead of the amp so when i finally had time i ran the wires plus and extra set of rcas and hooked these up to the amp as well.

Now what happens is after running the car for 10 minutes or so i start to get an alt whine in my fronts that gets progressively louder until im forced to shut everything down, after leaving for a while i can start up and get another 5 - 10 mins before this happens.

I have been though every trouble shooting step i can think of and i can confidently say i have narrowed it down to the HU. i.e. tried new rcas, moved them etc ran mp3 player directly through amps with no problem so i re grounded the HU directly to the battery and re-wired everything else back there as tidy as possible but still no luck.

After a LOT of googling on the subject I can't find anything quite like this. I suspected a blown pico fuse so i tried the ghetto wire fix to no avail and even pulled it to bits and hard soldered the fuse but everything is still the same, works for 10 minutes brilliantly then the noise comes on. I haven't been able to find any posts on a noise issue that is delayed like this....

Anyway I dont have another HU to test this for sure so I am about to go and spend $200 on a downgrade to fix the problem.

Has anyone heard of symptoms like this before? is my HU given up the ghost or am i missing something???

If you dont get it fixed up,and need another hu,i have a clarion that i can let go reasonably,that i got in,and used for two weeks and pulled out,with usb,and aux cdz300 w remote,specs booklet.pm me if youd like,but that is the thread i remember seeing about pioneer hus with engine noise

Hey man thanks for the suggestion but yea that was the site i was looking at after i was pretty sure it was the head unit, I tried the wire fix but that didnt work and i also took it apart and soldered the fuse which didnt help either its just the same. I would be keen on your HU but its not really feasible coz i live in new zealand man haha

Hey man thanks for the suggestion but yea that was the site i was looking at after i was pretty sure it was the head unit, I tried the wire fix but that didnt work and i also took it apart and soldered the fuse which didnt help either its just the same. I would be keen on your HU but its not really feasible coz i live in new zealand man haha
oooh no chit!! i didnt realize that man..people post different stuff for locations,that i dont even hardly pay attention anymore..well thats not good for you..i was gonna let it go for cheap,yet i only ship within the lower 48..ive got approx 5 decent hu,and that one is brand new/2wekks out of the box..i just didnt like the color/functions on it ,,a little too much for me compared to my eclipse hu..man,,you may have to get another hu sounds like..might try to run another ground wire from the chassis/frame to the rear wiring on the back of the hu,and last,or also run a ground/12ga wire to the battery..if you do both of those, then its not worth my time anymore way i look at it..sell it for parts/or?,and put funds toward another hu man..get rid of it.

Tracing alternator whine ain't easy....I had to follow guidelines that allow you to trace and test each piece of equipment...I think mine came down to exactly what whitedragon was saying, grounds. I did the Big 3 and added a second battery and grounded both batteries to the engine block and to the frame on each side of my truck. Once I did that, the whine was gone for the most part. I still have a noise filter on my HU and ground as much as I can directly to the negative post of the closest battery. Having a common ground point and a GOOD ground point is essential. Good luck!

Have you tried to add another ground for the head unit? While it makes the noise what happens when you unplug the RCA's? Does the noise stop or continue?

yea i ran another ground directly to the battery for the HU but it hasn't helped unfortunately

if i unplug rcas from the back of the HU then the noise stops (as you would expect because there is no signal anymore) but if i plug a different source onto the end of those same rcas then it plays through the system fine so thats why ive pretty much eliminated the rcas and the amps.

ive quadruple checked all my grounds, moved them drilled new ones etc to no effect also this only started when i added the third set of rcas and rear wiring to the amp, it was fine for weeks before that. Now if i un-do what i did the noise is still there

I really think it the HU but if i buy a new one plug it in and get the same thing i will die lol

has anyone heard of this symptom before though........fine for 5 - 10 mins then slight crackle whine that builds up until its really quite loud , increases with the rpm aswell. I agree it sounds like a ground more than anything but since ive gone over all those so much and i was fine before i strongly suspect the pico fuse (except none of the fixes for that work for me and generally it sounds as though you get constant noise from the moment you turn the car on with that fault)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.