External crossover versus crossover in radio

Participant count
  • Participant list

4silverado

04 Silverado extended cab with Bose, everything is stock with exception of a Kenwood DPX502BT with PAC RP5-GM11 harness.

Is there a difference between the crossover in the radio versus crossover in a component set?

Does it do the same thing or is the external more accurate / better?

With the Bose being 2 ohm, I'm looking at the Powerbass L2 series. Other options were JBL or Infinity, although these were 3 ohm.

Are the front door speakers / tweeters 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Crutchfield wasn't sure, although they said the rear were 2 ohm.

04 Silverado extended cab with Bose, everything is stock with exception of a Kenwood DPX502BT with PAC RP5-GM11 harness.
Is there a difference between the crossover in the radio versus crossover in a component set?

Does it do the same thing or is the external more accurate / better?

With the Bose being 2 ohm, I'm looking at the Powerbass L2 series. Other options were JBL or Infinity, although these were 3 ohm.

Are the front door speakers / tweeters 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Crutchfield wasn't sure, although they said the rear were 2 ohm.
in your case, you have no choice but to use the passive crossover that comes with a component set because your kenwood only has a mid high pass filter which blocks bass from going to speakers and a tweeter high pass which blocks mid frequencies from going to the tweeter. Thats not enough. To do a setup without a passive crossover you need a mid low pass filter which blocks tweeter frequencies from playing out of the midrange and your head unit is not capable of that at all.

If the head unit is network mode capable then yes a head unit crossover will be better purely due to you having the ability to set different crossover points and slopes to match your vehicle acoustics and get an ideal perfect blend between midrange and tweeter vs a crapshoot with a passive external crossover thats a set crossover point and slope that you cannot change or modify even if it doesnt work with your vehicle's acoustics, you are just stuck with that point. It might work with some cars, it might not work with others thats why you have some 5 star reviews saying the component sounds amazing along with 1 star reviews saying it sounds like @ss. While an active crossover network system, you can make almost any tweeter and midrange combo sound amazing in any car with proper tuning knowledge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.