Front driverside speaker grounding out on door

Participant count
  • Participant list

pluckyou
10+ year member

Illinois
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with Infinity Kappa speakers, Kenwood hu, MTX 10" subs and MTX mono amp. My issue is that when I installed the head unit in the first place, I could not wire the driver side door speaker using the harness, I had to run my own wire. When I tried to use the wiring harness, It would simply not work. So, I ran my own wire for that speaker only, and thought I would be just fine.

A little while after doing this, the driver side speaker started grounding out on the door that it is screwed into. I have checked, checked and re-checked the wire, and there are no cuts, tears, anything! The connections are good and I have had the speaker replaced, so I know the speaker is not the issue. It is not the head unit because I went out and got a new one today and it is doing the same thing.I

I have no idea what would be causing this to happen. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Well, I'm saying grounding out, but maybe that's not the right term. When you screw the speaker into the door, it sparks, then once it is in all the way, it just doesn't work. This causes all of the other speakers not to work, but the sub still works. That's exactly how it is, and I have no clue why.

yeah sounds like a positive and negative wire are coming in contact with eachother.. and with no resistance.. this is causing the amp to shut off all channels..

are you sure you're speaker terminals.. arent hitting the door the door or metal part, completeling the circuit, i had somewhat of a similar problem once, that would be my best guess.. try adding some elctrical tape over the speaker terminals and put it back in.. see if the problem goes away

I've checked the run of wire about 10 times and cannot find anything wrong. Nothing is cutting into the wire. Believe me, I realize that this makes no sense and that's what makes it so frustrating.

I will look into what Etac said about checking out the terminals tho.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.