Front wheel bearing bad??

NoCoSPL
10+ year member

A Daily Loud Trunk
First off 05 Honda civic 2dr.

In the morning when its cold out i can start my car fine no noise, but as soon as i get rolling i hear awful scraping noise that slowly dissipates as i keep driving, inside the cabin i don't hear scraping after awhile but the car still howls down the road like i got 33's on it or somethin.

I lifted my front end and noticed on my wheel i have a little bit of play if i grab onto the spoke and rock it back and fourth, very slight though. None of the other tires do that, they're solid. Yes the lugnuts are on tight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

With the front end in the air i took the wheel and spun it like i was on the price as right, my passenger front wheel kinda clickty clacks as it spins too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I don't know what else to blame but the wheel bearing, what do you guys think?

Well take it down the road. Now I will have to think about this for a sec. When you do make sure no one else is around. Sway the vehicle back and forth. See when you do this. You will put load on one wheel and take the load off the other wheel. Do this for a few times. So when you turn to the right( or sway) you are putting the load on the left wheel. Load is off on the left wheel. You can find what side the noise is coming from doing that. And opposite for when you turn left (sway left)

Or another way. Jack both sides up. Put on stands block the back wheels. Get a freind to run the vehicle. Craw under it some and use a long screw driver and listen to each bearing.

Another thing. This click noise. Is that when you are making like parking lot turns. Could be axle shaft going too.

Well take it down the road. Now I will have to think about this for a sec. When you do make sure no one else is around. Sway the vehicle back and forth. See when you do this. You will put load on one wheel and take the load off the other wheel. Do this for a few times. So when you turn to the right( or sway) you are putting the load on the left wheel. Load is off on the left wheel. You can find what side the noise is coming from doing that. And opposite for when you turn left (sway left)
Or another way. Jack both sides up. Put on stands block the back wheels. Get a freind to run the vehicle. Craw under it some and use a long screw driver and listen to each bearing.

Another thing. This click noise. Is that when you are making like parking lot turns. Could be axle shaft going too.
Yes when i make a make a hard left turn putting strain on the right side the noise gets louder, also i checked my boots and they are all good in tact, no cracks or wear. Clicking is just the wheel spinning in general.

I just had my boss read what you posted.

He said CV joints or transaxle.

He said get it checked, it could be nasty:(

Or dont he could just be a dummy:)

No really get it checked

Yes when i make a make a hard left turn putting strain on the right side the noise gets louder, also i checked my boots and they are all good in tact, no cracks or wear. Clicking is just the wheel spinning in general.
Well looking at the boots is not going to tell you that whats inside is okay. How many miles does your ride have on it. And Id gather its a bearing going bad. Being I am not there No else hold me to that statment.

First off 05 Honda civic 2dr.
In the morning when its cold out i can start my car fine no noise, but as soon as i get rolling i hear awful scraping noise that slowly dissipates as i keep driving, inside the cabin i don't hear scraping after awhile but the car still howls down the road like i got 33's on it or somethin.

I lifted my front end and noticed on my wheel i have a little bit of play if i grab onto the spoke and rock it back and fourth, very slight though. None of the other tires do that, they're solid. Yes the lugnuts are on tight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

With the front end in the air i took the wheel and spun it like i was on the price as right, my passenger front wheel kinda clickty clacks as it spins too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I don't know what else to blame but the wheel bearing, what do you guys think?
That bold part. What do you mean. As you drive the noise just goes away alltogether??

That bold part. What do you mean. As you drive the noise just goes away alltogether??
slowly, and faster if I reach higher speeds. The metal on metal sound is unbelievable in the cold mornings, it goes away as I hit the interstate but the howling like I have mudders on y car never stops

slowly, and faster if I reach higher speeds. The metal on metal sound is unbelievable in the cold mornings, it goes away as I hit the interstate but the howling like I have mudders on y car never stops
Okay just asking. Id go ahead with the bearing replacement. Sounds like you did the right test for it. I cant remember if thats a bolt in bearing or pressed in. Im thinking its pressed in.

Okay just asking. Id go ahead with the bearing replacement. Sounds like you did the right test for it. I cant remember if thats a bolt in bearing or pressed in. Im thinking its pressed in.

You sir are correct, pressed.

Ok so it was the wheel bearing, when It gets done hopefully its nice and quiet ride, still be quiet even with the volume up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Get it up on a lift of jack stands. If you can rock the wheel, it's the bearing. Bad CV joints will make a clicking or clunking noise when doing tight turns (like parking manuvers).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.