Going active?

Participant count
  • Participant list

skameron831
10+ year member

What exactly does that mean?

I am trying to do what ever i can to satisfy my self with my car audio SQ in my next install. I read alot of people saying there speakers sounded better running active. I am going to have some Pioneer 720PRS's installed. I was looking at Hifonics -http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16336 I am trying to save a little bit, i would have gone with alpine pdx if i wanted to spend the money but, if theres anything better please suggest. thanks

I am not sure if Hifonics is all about SQ. If you are on budget, check audio classifieds section for at least for some JLs, Diamond audio, and PG stuff.

going active means that every speaker has its own channel on the amp...meaning u dont use passive crossovers in your install..almost any system sounds better active if u have the right equipment..either a HU or an amp that supports that wide of a range of xovers

you'll need a 4 channel amp or two 2 channel amps. i choose to run a big 2 channel for my mids and i'll be running a much smaller 2 channel for my tweeters.

you'll need either a head unit that can control an active setup or use an external electronic crossover. i prefer to have it all right in the HU so it can be adjusted right from the drivers seat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.