got a strange voltage problem. i think

black pearl

we have not started the install yet so there is just factory replacement speakers in my Tahoe now (focal's) I have a optima red top in the stock location and did the big 3 upgrade, and everything was fine. I just installed a new xs power D3400 under the hood in the 2nd location. 1/0 gauge wire rand to the alt. and grounded to the alt bracket, now when I start the truck the voltage reads high 14's,(volts) after a few miles down the road it has dropped to mid to high 12's (volts) and this is with just a kenwood head unit and 2 set of focal components, NO AMP at all. any idea whats going on

ok thanks, this is my first go-round with AGM batteries and I don't own a AGM charger, will just driving around with it charge it or do I need to have it charged
you can use a regular charger just make sure you keep an eye on it at all times..... or got buy a smart charger

what do I need to keep and eye on. from what I can tell from the sheet that came with the battery is not to charge it at more the 2.4 volts per cell, which is 14.4 volts right??? so don't most all battery chargers charge to 14.4 or do they put out more than that ?

you can use a regular charger just make sure you keep an eye on it at all times..... or got buy a smart charger
ok I was able to find a smart charger here in town, when I went to leave the house, I disconnected the d3400 and checked the voltage and it was 12.3. this is throwing me for a loop

ok I was able to find a smart charger here in town, when I went to leave the house, I disconnected the d3400 and checked the voltage and it was 12.3. this is throwing me for a loop
yea sounds like it may be bad. How long was it on charge? and are you going to get the smart charger if you already havnt?

yea sounds like it may be bad. How long was it on charge? and are you going to get the smart charger if you already havnt?
when I said I disconnected it, I meant I disconnected it from the alternator so it would not be hooked up anymore. then I check the voltage and it was in the mid 12's. I haven't put it on charge yet, I was going to do it tomorrow at work

when I said I disconnected it, I meant I disconnected it from the alternator so it would not be hooked up anymore. then I check the voltage and it was in the mid 12's. I haven't put it on charge yet, I was going to do it tomorrow at work
oh ok. even tho it was on the alt it still probly needs some charging. just put them on like a 2amp charge on a smart charger and leave it on there for a while, may take a few hrs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

black pearl

black pearl
rocky mount NC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
hispls