Head Unit Recommendations?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I got to do something with my down time man.. LOL :D:D:D. Im not into touch screens as Ive tried them. I cant stand the finger prints that stay on the screen and having to wipe it down with my OCD with that. First of. Id would look to see what Sonic Electronix has in stock with the features you want on a Kenwood HU/ or a JVC, Id recommend 4v or better with 3 sets of RCAs Out for Frt. R, Sub, LPF and HPF tuning, Xover and maybe Time Alignment(Ive never used due to having passengers ride usually with me). But Look for the Basics such as this HU in my Opinion and check for what other needs or wants you would like.. Example for me of two HUs for the Basics

I was even looking at one of these to just try out for $100 bucks. If dont like it, I can still use it in my workshop garage or Mancave?? Or Sell it on the Bay for a few $s in return? Its got all I need on it. I dont need all that MutiMedia stuff. I like to keep it simple.

But get a sheet of paper of use your Notebook on your phone or? And write down what yo want on the HU, If you plan to run amplifiers? if so how many? do I actually need T/A but retain the 4v+RCA connections for future amplifiers , Do I need Backup camera or dash camera,DVD? Ect.
Id look on Sonic Electronix and Crutchfield. Both offer dashkits, Wiring harnesses(plug and Play) Antenna adapter if needed. Dont Ask me about Android units. Too many unkown factors for me to know or have played around with. Still New to me,and on the market for affordable and reliable ones for the average Joe
(ignore this response its so dumb i cant delete)

Last edited:
I got to do something with my down time man.. LOL :D:D:D. Im not into touch screens as Ive tried them. I cant stand the finger prints that stay on the screen and having to wipe it down with my OCD with that. First of. Id would look to see what Sonic Electronix has in stock with the features you want on a Kenwood HU/ or a JVC, Id recommend 4v or better with 3 sets of RCAs Out for Frt. R, Sub, LPF and HPF tuning, Xover and maybe Time Alignment(Ive never used due to having passengers ride usually with me). But Look for the Basics such as this HU in my Opinion and check for what other needs or wants you would like.. Example for me of two HUs for the Basics

I was even looking at one of these to just try out for $100 bucks. If dont like it, I can still use it in my workshop garage or Mancave?? Or Sell it on the Bay for a few $s in return? Its got all I need on it. I dont need all that MutiMedia stuff. I like to keep it simple.

But get a sheet of paper of use your Notebook on your phone or? And write down what yo want on the HU, If you plan to run amplifiers? if so how many? do I actually need T/A but retain the 4v+RCA connections for future amplifiers , Do I need Backup camera or dash camera,DVD? Ect.
Id look on Sonic Electronix and Crutchfield. Both offer dashkits, Wiring harnesses(plug and Play) Antenna adapter if needed. Dont Ask me about Android units. Too many unkown factors for me to know or have played around with. Still New to me,and on the market for affordable and reliable ones for the average Joe
So my main thing is im not sure exaclty of things to look for i can give the features i would prefer and generally my setup but i want the reassurance of somone whos been in this game for a while. I dont want to buy something that i think would be good but then somone knows stuff that i dont and would say why there woudlve been a better choice ( I want to do things right the first time) and I dont plan on changing my setup alot once i get it working well i will focus my money on the things i am more interested in, performance and cosmetic mods.

Features
-i want a digital display preferably with touch
- idc abt a back up camera tbh never had one never needed it and it would be extra wiring work but i dont care either way if it comes with then might as well
-Wont ever use a DVD player lol
-currently have one amp that is 1 channel, i will probably add door speakers so i assume i cant wire them all into a single channel amp that already has 2 woofers going to it, so most likley will run another amp for side speakers enless theres a way i dont need it
-the 3 sets of rcas would be nice and obv will need HFP and LFP/crossover
if there are more things i am missing/you woukd recommend lmk

would that kenwood ddx396 check those boxes? they are unavailable on crutchfeild or sonic electronics
but i can get it off ebay or walmart, then would i be able to get the harnesses and stuff off crutchfeild or seomthing?

Dude,get the 396.u wont be sorry.i have been into stereos for a long time,i am extremely picky and the 396 keeps me happy every day.it has a lot of tuning options.can also put whatever back drop u want on it.i have a halloween theme going right now.and for the record,i dont play dvd's either and u dont have to hook up a camera but the option is there.
1005231223_HDR.jpg
1005231225_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Dude,get the 396.u wont be sorry.i have been into stereos for a long time,i am extremely picky and the 396 keeps me happy every day.it has a lot of tuning options.can also put whatever back drop u want on it.i have a halloween theme going right now.and for the record,i dont play dvd's either and u dont have to hook up a camera but the option is there.View attachment 53378View attachment 53380
alright man sounds good i think ill go ahead and go with it, thanks for the help!
where should i get install equioment, are they universal for mt model of car or are they specific to the headunit?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...