Head unit wiring question...sort of...skeptical about jeep

detroitwrecker

I think I should start from the begining... 2006 Jeep Liberty. Stock head unit CD changer stopped working. Installed after market unit. Worked great for about 7-8 months. Then one day, I turned off ignition and unit stayed on?? Then stopped working. Tested unit and it is for sure, done. Have new unit waiting to install. Worried...... Ideas? Point me in right direction as to what to do/test before install? let me add that, all electrical from stock harness has tested "good" It is feeding the stock speakers EXCEPT for rca's feeding single amp to subwoofers. Thank you!

Item(s) Description/Condition:

Price:

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

Item Pictures:

(List pictures in this section, 1st picture should be your username/date if you have less than 10 positive feedbacks with the i-Trader system or less than 10 references that you have sold to in the past. (These must be listed in your signature, or a link provided to a feedback thread listing these references)).

Sounds like you just had a bad unit. However, if the factory hu crapped on you too I would first be suspicious of a bad ground. If you have a bad head unit ground, it will seek ground elsewhere and the next place to find it is the antenna, which is a poor ground but sufficient to make a head unit work.

When you install the new head unit, run a ground wire to the body of the vehicle at a place where you can scrape off all the paint and get the wire secured with a small bolt and nut. Screws have a tendency to loosen over time and, they can't fasten as tightly in sheet metal as a bolt and nut can.

If you have a multimeter and you want to prove the factory ground as the culprit... set the DMM to ohms(Ω) and read from battery negative to the factory ground wire. It should be at or below .01Ω Check the test leads on the meter first though (by touching them together), because meters have some internal resistance and many have about .01Ω. If yours does, then look for no more than .02Ω on the ground wire.

ive had issues with my headunit staying on, only when i unplug my battery and plug it back in, then i start up my car with my doors closed and then turn it off and open the door ( causing it to shut off ), its bugged me a few times were it tooka couple tries lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.