Headrest Monitor Install

Participant count
  • Participant list

99 3.2 TL MBP
10+ year member

I started installing headrest monitors on my 99 3.2 TL MBP.

I followed this DIY http://www.audioinmotion.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=14 but when I get down to the 5th and 6th picture, it says to screw the bracket into the metal frame that should be in the headrest. In my car, there is no frame and it is jut foam all the way through.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

My question is what do you guys think I should do to secure the brackets in the headrests? I read on another site that it said to buy velcro straps with sticky tape on either side and stick one side of velcro to the foam in the headrest and the other side to the back of the headrest bracket. I guess this would work, but I didn't think it would be that good of an idea, so I was just looking for some other ones that you guys may have....

I will post pictures later when I get home from work....

Thanks in advance:thumbupw:

Is there ANY type of metal bracketing in the headrest at all? Any metal/wood struts that project inside the headrest?

IF not, that the velcro is the only way you will be able to go unless you make something yourself.

Is there ANY type of metal bracketing in the headrest at all? Any metal/wood struts that project inside the headrest?
IF not, that the velcro is the only way you will be able to go unless you make something yourself.
No, there is not any kind of metal that goes in there. There is the two metal things that go down into the seat, but they do not go far enough into the headrest to be able to attach too. Also, I think I would have to remove most of the foam to get to that, and I don't want to mess up my headrests.

how did you cut the fabric before you started taking out the foam,

i remember when they did mine they cut the headrest into an X and glued the fabric to the monitors bracket never had any problem yet,

have had it for over 2 years

how did you cut the fabric before you started taking out the foam,i remember when they did mine they cut the headrest into an X and glued the fabric to the monitors bracket never had any problem yet,

have had it for over 2 years
Yea, I cut the X into it. I've got a friend coming over to help with my alarm install this weekend so I'll see what he suggests. He used to work at a car stereo install shop so he knows how to do everything.

Also, somehow in the process of moving into my new place, I seem to have lost one of the connectors to the headrest monitors and only have one now. Would something like this easily be made by going to an electronics store to get the parts or would a local stero shop be able to order one?

IMGA1476.jpg

IMGA1480.jpg

IMGA1482.jpg

It is an 'LA MOBILE 7" PILLOW TFT LCD COLOR MONITOR'

The pin connector plugs into a cord coming off the monitor. Inside the box is a fuse. There are 3 other wires, red (12V power source), black (ground), and green (rear view camera wire).

Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.