help---amp shopping noob

Participant count
  • Participant list

big_pun

1 question that f*%ks my mind up is---

if i have three dual 4 ohm subs that are wired to a 2.7ohm load and require 600rms each all firing into the same chamber (i guess requiring them to all be powered by the same amp so that they dont compete with each other), how much power in a mono block amp do i need to be shopping for?????????

do i need one 600 watt amp since they will all be wired together?

if i do that will the 3 subs "split 600 watts" only getting 200 each--which is not good?

do i need 1800watts (600 each) even though they will be wired together?

if i do that will all three of them get 1800watts a-piece destroying them?

i dont understand how they get thier power i walked into a store one day where they had a wall of subs (about 16) and they were all powered by 1 itty-bitty little amp!!!?

i know im sounding like a noob but does four 200watt subs wired together require 800watts or 200 watts?lol thanks

1 question that f*%ks my mind up is---if i have three dual 4 ohm subs that are wired to a 2.7ohm load and require 600rms each all firing into the same chamber (i guess requiring them to all be powered by the same amp so that they dont compete with each other), how much power in a mono block amp do i need to be shopping for?????????

do i need one 600 watt amp since they will all be wired together?

if i do that will the 3 subs "split 600 watts" only getting 200 each--which is not good?

do i need 1800watts (600 each) even though they will be wired together?

if i do that will all three of them get 1800watts a-piece destroying them?

i dont understand how they get thier power i walked into a store one day where they had a wall of subs (about 16) and they were all powered by 1 itty-bitty little amp!!!?

i know im sounding like a noob but does four 200watt subs wired together require 800watts or 200 watts?lol thanks
You would need an amp that does 1800 watts at the impedence they are wired to, to give each sub the 600 watts you want to give them.

You would need an amp that produced 1800wrms @ .5ohms.

As for the 16 rockfords on one amp; if they were on a display wall they were probably all wired to the amp, but only one played at a time. These display walls are wired to allow you to listen to x number of subs from one amp at a push of a button, but only one at a time if the amp was that small.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.