Help! HU stopped working (long post)

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrbomb
10+ year member

Bringing the BOOM
I got a Jensen UV7i as a Christmas present this year, i installed it and it worked perfectly no problems at all. I also just finished building a sub enclosure, so i just sat the enclosure in the back and hooked up the amp on the trunk floor just for temp testing, again worked perfectly.

The final location for the amp will be under the sub box, so i figured to get a little better cooling of the amp i would build a small box to put the amp in and put a fan in one end with an intake hole at the other end, to keep air moving over the amp.

It sounded good in theory (at least to me anyway) to hook the + and - of the fan up to the ground and the trigger wire on the amp.

Well i got the box all built and fan installed and wired i go to turn the HU on to test out if the fan will work like that. Turned the key, HU started, i look back and the fan was spinning, then it stops, i look back at my HU and it is turned off with the red light on on the power button.

I unhook the fan (thinking maybe it was drawing too much or something) take out the HU take the fuse out to check it and it was fine. I put the fuse back in after about 30 seconds and the HU beeps as it does when first hooking it up. so im thinking sweet maybe i just needed to reset it. Turn the key, HU turns on for about 2 seconds then the red light comes back on. then if i turn the key off and back on it goes straight to the red light

it keeps going like this no matter what i have tried

any one ever have this problem? any ideas as to how i may be able to fix it?

Is the "red light" state of your head unit something normal? Like...is that what it does when the head unit turns off? Or is this the first time you've ever seen it do the red light thing?

If the red light just means the head unit is off, but still getting power, I would assume that you somehow lost connection on your remote wire. Probably a fuse.

You could always disconnect the HU and check the connections with a DMM, make sure you get a constant 12v from the regular power/ground and 12V when the key is turned on from the remote wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.