Help me choose a 5 channel amp please

Hey guys, setting up a system in my cherokee and need help deciding on a 5 channel amp. I initially purchased the JBL GTO-5EZ, but it will not fit under the back seats.

Current setup

front speakers - JL C5-650

rear speakers - Polk MM651UM

sub - Polk SR104

The amps I am currently looking at:

JL XD700/5

Precision Power PPI P900.5

Polk Audio PA D5000.5

Kenwood XR900-5

Let's say I can get any of these amps for $350 or less. The Precision Power is the lowest in price...heard decent things about them. I would like to go for the best amp - geared towards great SQ over heavy Bass. Thanks.

Also, how much weight should I put into the consensus that class A/B is "better for SQ"...others are saying more dynamic. Also hearing folks claiming class D is plenty good for SQ. Now, this is where my amp debate came in. Initially I purchased the JBL GTO-5EZ...that was based on others saying the JBL produces surprisingly great SQ for the price (50x4 RMS @ 4 + 350x1 sub channel)...which isn't bad but could possibly use more wattage for the 4 speaker channels. It also uses A/B and D class for the sub. The other amps I am considering are all class D....due to size.

Last edited by a moderator:
disregard the size question for the PG amp...def fits

Sorry guys, being pretty indecisive as there are so many things to consider....Probably over complicating things, but trying to justify certain price differences etc.

Give me a minute to think on that PG amp as well.

Decent amp for sure and came across it a few times browsing the threads. Unfortunately it will not fit....this limited space deal is no bueno. Thanks for the input though.

I got it off Ebay...It was directly from Polk for 169.99 shipped, called to verify as well. It's a SVC though...but for what I am looking for, that's all I need. I also have a SR124DVC sub I may sell or try it out for Home Theater?

They have a few SR104 DVC for around $269 right now brand new. I'm sure you can find the one you are looking for...if you commit to the search :)

I got it off Ebay...It was directly from Polk for 169.99 shipped, called to verify as well. It's a SVC though...but for what I am looking for, that's all I need. I also have a SR124DVC sub I may sell or try it out for Home Theater?
They have a few SR104 DVC for around $269 right now brand new. I'm sure you can find the one you are looking for...if you commit to the search :)
I'd like to run 2 10's but that's going to get pricey it looks like. I think 1 12" would suffice too. They've just got excellent output and don't miss a beat. I think a lot of people used to overlook them for SQL woofers.

You might not notice unless you really listen but your sound stage is going to sound funny with those polks in the back. They are way more aggressive then the C5s.
That's a very good point...I was a little worried about the MM's being more aggressive...they are also the UM model, which are slightly toned down vs the non UM model. Still, I think they are more aggressive as you say. I considered this, but hoped to get better midbass going this route? The rear speakers are on a sound bar above/slightly behind the rear passengers heads...if that makes any difference.

I hooked up the rear speakers and subs today with the JBL amp (still fitting the front speakers). I managed to get the amp to "kinda" fit...the rear seat folds forward - the amp is located in the compartment, which would be under the rear seat. When folding the seat back, it rests directly on the jbl amp, but still clamps closed.

I did a little more research on the class A/B vs D for SQ....fingers seem to point towards A/B for SQ....though class D has come a long way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.